Friday, July 14, 2006

OK, so, Dali. We were waiting by the door when they opened....I smoked a cigarette in preparation. Down the street alongside the building the gorgeous and so Spanish owners were doing the same. Finally, we were let inside, and led to a table in the copper ceiling-ed, candle lit back room. Walking into the place is like walking into a temple of EVERYTHING GOOD IN THE WORLD. We got a pitcher of the best sangria ever and Allison got a glass of Designated Driver Sangria, which was equally delicious. They brought out the incredible bread with chickpea garlic mushroom spread. I think the bread is made with semolina flour, maybe....I have never been able to really figure out the secret. It is incredibly dense, sliced thin, very flavorful. Then we set to ordering. I am just going to list everything we ate, and hope that you will go to the link in the previous post to find out what they mean. Here goes:
Tortilla Espanola, Patatas Ali Oli (good LORD so good!), Aceitunas Alinadas (in specially made olive bowls), Setas al Ajillo, Alcachofas Salteadas, Gambas al Ajillo (the smell of them made me quiver), Vieiras al Azafran (quite possibly my favorite thing I have ever put in my mouth EVER), Ravioles de Mariscos (I sopped up every bit of sauce that I could with bread, and then scraped the dish with my fingers. I was not proud), Chorizo ala Plancha (almost a disappointment--not as garlicky or spicy as what we had at Mallorca on New Years), Tigres (oh so good, got me over my fear of mussels), Gazpacho Andaluz. Pause for breath. Then the desserts: Fresones, Filloa al Licor, Tarta de Santiago. I had a little coffee with lump brown sugar and heavy cream. By the time we were into the desserts, we were all brazenly licking plates with abandon. Even designated driver Allison had caught the food intoxication. It was absolute bliss. We walked out into the DAYLIGHT(shriek!!!) and I lingered by the open kitchen door, trying desperately for a glimpse into the magical wonderland. Too much.
I imagine we did something that night...but I don't remember. Thursday morning we got up and had some local pastries for breakfast, then did some more shopping. We made stops at a bookstore for the Mr Rogers books which would provide my reading for the ceremony, a ghetto grocery store for cupcake cups (I forgot!), and then the Origins counter at a silly little mall so the gals could get lipsticks. My sister got this incredible copper shade which matched her hair, her scarf, and her tonenail polish exactly. Allison was found to be one of a select few who can get away with wearing red. It was really nice how non-plussed the young women working the counter were about the fact that A&A were there to get lipstick for their wedding. After the makeup experience we went back home and I set to cooking. Becky did some cleaning, and the sisters went out to dinner with a friend. Becky and I ate as many leftovers as we could to make room in the fridge. When the sisters came back, we got ready to go out queer dancing. I arranged to meet my sweetheart Neil there, and he brought his lovely ladyfriend. The band that played were okay, nothing too exciting, but it was very exciting to see so many queers of all stripes dancing and having fun. Downstairs at the Middle East is super weird though...there were almost as many security people as revelers. I talked to Neil a lot while Becky and my sis got their groove on. It was GREAT! We left early-ish and went home to pass out, exhausted. In fact, most nights we passed out, exhausted. It was an exhausting week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home