Sunday, June 18, 2006

This week was mostly unremarkable. As in, I would rather not remark upon it. I basically didn't do any of the things I planned to do and instead I drank a lot and smoked a lot and ate a lot of things that aren't good for me. Eh, what ya gonna do.
I'll just consider it an extra week of playing hooky and blame Rob Brezsny.
This weekend, however, has been all about unexpected pleasures.
Yesterday, despite the fact that we didn't quite make it downtown in time for the pride march, which is said to have included more than 6,000 people(!), we did make it over to Riverfront Park for the festival. The entertainment was pretty crappy, the sound system was REALLY crappy, and the booths seemed to be mostly about dogs and churches. BUT, there were all sorts of leathermen there. Sigh. The leathermen were all extremely affectionate with one another and it made me so happy to see them hug and kiss. There were also lots of other out and proud and colorful and lovely people milling around, soaking up the sun and being who they are. It was awesome! It really kind of restored my faith in humanity. It was also nice to tool around the "North Shore"...I hadn't really gotten a good look at it before and it is really lovely. Reminded me a bit of Cleveland, actually. Not that Pittsburgh people want to hear that, but there you go.
After the pridefest we got some beers and headed to Juli and Will's for a cookout. Only we were very early, but they were super gracious hosts and fed us yummy coleslaw and cheeseburger anyway. Will helped me get the sound files on the anita fix myspace, FINALLY. Relief. We had to run away pretty much right after eating cuz becky had to work, but it was a lovely time while we were there.
I did some computer work and then took a little nap before heading into South Oakland for the Styles For Modern Living and Telefonics, and Pimps Up Hoedown show.
I really did not have high hopes for seeing these bands in a south oakland frat bar, but it turned out to not be like that at all! Their beer selection is INCREDIBLY AWESOME. They have Magic Hat #9 ON TAP. They also had Pomme Lambic, which I saw first, so that is what I had. It was like granny smith beer. So tart and lovely. I talked about 6 people into the Magic Hat though. It's like finding the holy grail! I've only ever gotten to have Magic Hat once before in the Martian Martini Bar in Baltimore, but I remember it to this day. And I can't wait to go back and get some!
The bands were all great. I got a big hug from my favorite boy who I haven't seen in sooooo long...at least three months. It was a nice treat to catch up with him. I got a nice spot in front of a big window fan (it was boiling hot up there on the second floor!) and I didn't budge all night. We left about four songs into the Styles set because we were getting sleepy after our full day, but I was so happy that it had ended up being a totally enjoyable evening.
Speaking of surprisingly enjoyable, I went to brunch at my dad's house today! I felt sort of roped into it by his girlfriend, but it turned out to be a lovely day. We ate outside and she made a delicious brunch of fruit salad, ham, cheese, egg, and spinach pastry, pecan carmel baked french toast, bacon, and cherry tomato salad. Yum. I got to see the sibs and the nephew, and then after we ate dad invited me to go with him to Trax Farms! So I had a nice drive into the country with dad and his girlfriend, and I got to shop at the farmer's market. Drool drool. I bought a jar of strawberry jalapeno preserves which are the BOMB DIGGITY. And a big ole beefsteak tomato. Ah, summer. Dad was shopping for hanging baskets and he got some very lovely ones for the front porch. Then he drove me home! What a sweet day. I feel very guilty for being convinced I would have a rotten time.
Now I have some things to do before the kitchen meeting tonight. I've already plugged my breakfast recipes into the master cook---it's such a kick! There's going to be a lot of data entry to be done in the next few weeks, but once it's done it will be a snap to cost out any recipe we want. I am salivating.
I was hoping to go see Jello rant for three hours tomorrow night, but I don't think I can afford it either monetarily or in terms of the time better spent washing dishes and vacuuming. He sure is entertaining though!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home