Saturday, July 01, 2006

Oh, dear. I don't think I have really sufficiently processed last night, but I want to try to get some memories down while it's still fresh.
We had made grandiose plans to "tailgate" with red wine and feather boas, in tribute to Daniel. I had dressed up in my Bauhaus t shirt with my bat necklace and my David J hat with the silver flower. And of course, my Bauhaus boots. We got our wine and set out on the road. Somehow, I had screwed up the directions to the Pavillion. I don't know how, nor do I know why both rebby and I didn't trust our instincts when we took the fateful wrong turn. But we didn't, and ended up going about 45 minutes out of our way. Boo. We got there about halfway into Peaches set, and given that we were both hungry and the people in the parking lot seemed not like people we wanted to "party" with, we decided to just go in. Amazingly, we found Jennie and Mike on the first pass around. They had staked out a very sweet spot in the center just at the beginning of the lawn. We spread our purple blanket and then went to get Primantis.
Peaches began to sing "Fuck the Pain Away" just as we were returning to our blanket. We ate our sandwiches while she crowd surfed in her pink bikini. Daisy called and she wasn't far from us, so she and her hunny picked up their blanket and came to join our party.
I was about halfway through my sandwich when the boys took the stage. It happened so suddenly that I was completely unprepared. I think I had lit a cigarette, which hung there burning down as I was completely frozen by the sight of Daniel Ash with his hair down. I am praying that someone will post a picture, because of course we forgot to bring the spyglasses we have in the glovebox. Boo, again. Peter prowled and pranced and was very cheeky with the audience. He kept making a big deal about being British, which I thought was very cute. Daniel just stomped all over in his big boots, preening and being a marvelous rock god. They played Double Dare, In the Flat Field, A God in an Alcove, She's in Parties. I can't remember at what point Peter got his staff handed to him, but he danced around with it, used it to hurl roses into the audience and at Kevin and Daniel. He put it across his shoulders and bent over it. It was incredible. He did a lot of his old twisty dancing. Totally spellbinding. The new song Adrenaline was amazing...very plodding and sexy. And then, Peter got up on a platform in the back and bent over, and they began Severance. I can't even really describe what that was like. It was like a ritual. I kept thinking how very WRONG it was that I was not down there in the front worshipping. Next was Silent Hedges, with Daniel playing his gorgeous acoustic. Then, In Fear of Fear---the saxaphone. At one point Daniel was on his knees in front of David with the saxophone...I'll leave it to the imagination as to what that looked like. Heh.
Next up was Endless Summer of the Damned, another new song. Peter sang it from the corner of the stage near an amp stack with a single white light on him. It was like the old days!
OK, so....Rosegarden Funeral of Sores. Peter did some sexy stuff with the roses which I didn't really see....I was too busy watching Daniel, of course. Apparently he stuck the bunch of roses in his shirt and was massaging his nipples...so cheeky!
Daniel and Peter circled around each other like animals in heat. Then, Daniel dropped down to his knees. Peter came around behind him and stuck his staff in front of Daniel, pinning him there. He grabbed Daniel's hair and pulled his head into his crotch. Over and over. I swear, this really happened, it was not my fantasy imagination. I lost my mind. I think I smoked a cigarette after every song, and I know at one point I was twisting my bat necklace up into knots. I was a mess.
At one point Peter picked a guy out of the audience who was wearing all white. He made the security guys let him up front so he could give the guy his roses. He said something like "they think they have precendence because they are wearing all black, but you are beautiful." Wow.
Daniel stayed on the ground for most of Stigmata Martyr. Then, it was Dark Entries, and then.....done. I was incredulous. I was actually sort of hysterical. Shrieking and crying. It wasn't that I was so upset that they didn't play Bela. Or Ziggy. I was just so sad to think that they would have a bad opinion of Pittsburgh. That somehow we were not worthy. There was one other goth boy near us who said "the kids don't understand Bauhaus" and I could not be consoled. Daisy came over and was petting my arm....she said "you're helping me get over it." I could not get over it, though. She and her hunny were going to get drinks and asked if they could bring me anything. I said "Daniel ash, please." Unfortunately, they could not find him.
So, I tried to get myself together for nine inch nails. I could not help feeling a little resentful about it. I was thinking, "sure, I love Trent too, but I know that there would be no trent without Bauhaus and these children should at least respect that." But I relaxed a bit and when the show started, I got caught up pretty quickly.
Trent played a lot of things from The Fragile after playing almost NOTHING from it in Erie, so that was great. "Something I Can Never Have" was absolutely amazing. The whole band seemed a lot more energetic and heartfelt than Erie....I know that Trent had been just getting over being sick when we saw him there, so that might have something to do with it. But several people on the nin message board have already said that it was one of the best shows they have ever seen, so it might have been more. I jumped up during Closer and didn't sit back down again. By the time they got to Wish I was dancing with a frenzy. Hurt was beautiful as always, and Trent's voice was so full of powerful emotion. Then, something special happened. Trent said something about how they've been privleged to tour with his inspiration and said they were going to do something special tonight. Then he brought out Peter Murphy and they sang "Final Solution." Eeek! Peter ran out and jumped on Trent in a big bearhug! Then he said "Hurt is not a Johnny cash song" which I thought was pretty funny. It is especially funny in hindsight because so many people seem to think that Final Solution is a Peter Murphy song. Ha! The performance was incredible, Peter kept jumping on Trent and running around the stage.
Then, the hand that feeds, then head like a hole, and then it was all over. I feel incredibly lucky to have seen it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home