Monday, June 12, 2006

Good morning! I trust we've all survived the weekend? It was touch and go for me yesterday, but after an early evening nap I came back feeling good. In order to spend three hours on the internet! I couldn't help it...I started looking at a photo thread on a message board dedicated to you know who. Heh. There is some amazing stuff in there. Including a pic of him wearing a t shirt with a leather pride flag on it, which was extra special because on Saturday I got myself a lighter with a leather pride flag on it. It really is one of the most visually pleasing symbols I can think of. It's got my favorite color combo of blue and black, plus that sweet little heart. Awww. Leather. I got it at A Pleasant Present on Saturday, where rebby and I had gone to try to get a copy of the Advocate. We wanted to spend our gay money in a gay establishment, but unfortunately he didn't carry it because it is a bi-monthly and didn't sell too well. Bah. The guy was so nice though that I wanted to spend some gay money there, so I got my sister a lesbian wedding card, and then I got myself the lighter and a little button. I should really make a point of getting down there more often. I've joined the card club now, so I should at least take advantage of that!
Before we started our Advocate search we had breakfast at Kazanskys. Well, it was past breakfast time and I had a Rueben, but it was the breakfast-y meal. I had coffee with it. We ended up sitting with Mike Vulture, who spends every Saturday morning there. He is such an entertaining fellow. I felt a little bad that he talked so much he didn't end up finishing his sandwich, but really that was his choice. It was fun to get a lot of "alternative weekly" gossip. Although some of it was not exactly "fun". It's amazing the kind of bigotry that still goes on in 2006 and in an "alternative" paper. Oh well. Perhaps I should just get over being amazed by bigotry? It seems to be the way of the world these days. (I can't even form a coherent thought about that, by the way. I originally read the story on yahoo news, and then I read through several pages of bigoted and hateful comments about it. All I can think is "Magneto was right.")
Anyway, after "breakfast" but before the gay store, we went into Jerrys. There was absolutely zero Judas Priest to be had, but I did end up getting a really cool old bellydance record (autographed by the dancer!) and a record by Gay Bikers on Acid. I haven't listened to it yet, but I'm sure I will love it. Rebby got a Saxon album that is a little silly, and also KISS Unmasked. Which is also a little silly, but what are ya gonna do? Shandi is a good song. We ended up having to go to Barnes and Noble to get the Advocate and use the restroom. Her picture in the Advocate is sooooo cute! We headed up the street to The Exchange where I got a few cool things....Music for the Masses(My favorite Depeche Mode CD, which I had on record back in the day), This Is Hardcore by Pulp, something by Faster Pussycat (I am not even sure what CD it is...it was a dollar!) and a cassette of Turbo by Priest. Turbo is a pretty terrible album overall, but it was a dollar and I admit I love Turbo Lover. Locked In isn't so bad either, if I can listen to it without picturing everybody's bad 80s hair. Rebby got Metallica's Black Album on cassette and I will loudly and proudly admit to loving that one. I know it's the SELLOUT album, but I don't care. "Sad But True" is one of my favorite songs ever. I like it more than Master of Puppets and I don't care who knows it. So there!
I asked the guy at the desk about A Small Deadly Space by Fight and he told me that there was a copy at the store in Dormont. When he told me it was $6.00, I made a quick mental calculation and decided that the six dollars plus the gallon of gas it would take to drive to Dormont and back was not worth it, especially when I could get it for $2.00 plus shipping from someone on the internet. So I passed, but I am really anxious to hear it. It's apparently got some vaguely social commentary-ish lyrics on it. I'll let you know.
Came home and crashed out. Rebby did the dishes while I napped, and then I made dinner and we watched "Cowards Bend the Knee" by Guy Maddin. Well, I watched it....Rebby conked out about half way through and slept pretty hard till I woke her to go out. We got down to the Pub and it was so nice to be there and surrounded by lots of friends. I drank a few Straubs and rocked out to the Working Poor sans bass player (truthfully, I didn't miss it) and then I enjoyed the Bumps. I don't think I would ever go out of my way to see the Bumps, as it is not particularly my cup of tea, but when I am in the right head space I do enjoy it. Plus, they did a cover of "Pancho and Lefty" which made me happy. I started to lose my spark in the middle of their set, and by the time Home came on, I was pretty much done for. I tried to get into it, but I was too sleepy and they just weren't grabbing me. So we headed home and I slept hard and woke up and went to work.
It was one of the most thoroughly pleasant brunches I have ever worked! Jilly and I were both in really good moods, and the menu was totally amazingly good, and it was busy but not unmanageable. Just completely lovely. I was really sore and tired by the time it was over, but for most of the day I was just taking care of business and feeling really good about it. It was so nice to get out for a little smoke break here and there to hear Dean Martin crooning and lots of smiling people digging in to awesome food. Jeffy and Tori Amos came to eat and brought my bottle of Pirate sauce, which made me grin. Alan came and brought me the most adorable little pewter bat on a leather thong necklace. The bat is hanging upside down, like bats do. Its perfect.
All in all, a good if exhausting and kind of spendy weekend. I think today I will stay put at home where I have plenty of work to do. There are orders to place, and catering inquiries to answer, and the ever popular laundry and dishes and cleaning to take care of. I am also going to attempt to make a new workout tape. Tomorrow I intend to attack that cross country skiing machine like a beast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home