Friday, May 05, 2006

Grrr! I am feeling frustrated and sad.
Wednesday after work while walking home with my computer on my back and my new cell phone in my pocket, I stepped on a stone and wrenched my left ankle, falling down and hitting on my right knee which got super scraped up. (my indestructible American Eagle Outfitters flight pants were unharmed, though) The thought as I was going down was "Waaaah! It's gym day!!!" Not "I could be about to smash my computer to bits if it hits the ground" Luckily it didn't as I had enough stuff crammed into my computer bag and also I had my new reebok hoodie on (a handmedown from rebbyro--it's awesome!)so it sort of bounced off all this padding on my back and didn't even come anywhere near the ground.
So, I got myself up and hobbled home, but decided I was determined to go to the gym anyway, having missed the last week and feeling like once a week is barely enough. The weather was lovely and I really would have liked to have walked to CMU, but I didn't think that was such a good idea given the tender state of my ankle. I strapped on the ace bandage under the sweatsock and got on the bus. I did end up doing about 15 minutes on the treadmill which was fine, and then a whole lot of exercise machines. There were way less young people in there than usual and it was nice to be able to do the machines at a relaxed pace. There were also a few very entertaining musclebound dudes lifting 150 or so pounds over their heads, and that was fun to watch. I did everything except the leg lifts as that was just waaaaay too hard on my poor knees.
I took the bus home and rebbyro and I ordered up some yumtastic Thai food and then settled in to watch Encino Man. I had really forgotten (despite the fact that Baron Baptiste, the power yoga dude on my video, reminds me of him) how much I love Pauly Shore. The whole weasel thing just fills my heart with glee, not to mention his incredible hair and fashion sense. So I had a wonderful time with the thai summer rolls and the Pauly Shore, but then before bed my ankle and scraped up knee started to bum me out. I took some ibuprofen and went to bed, hoping for the best.
Yesterday morning it seemed okay, so I strapped on the ankle brace again and went to work. I got a lot accomplished even though I really couldn't do much of the up and down the stairs stuff. By about 2pm, though, it was starting to bother me again.
Here's the thing: I am really an expert ankle wrencher, as I usually do it a couple times a year. As an Aquarius I have accepted the fact that weak ankles are astrologically determined for me, and despite my best and most careful efforts I am going to go down every once in a while. Usually I am more than happy to just slow down for a few days till it stops being swollen and sore. But now suddenly I am in the throes of this "active lifestyle" and having a lame ankle totally bums me out. I can't really do yoga, I can't do any extended walking, and I don't have any time to go to the gym this weekend. Waaah! So last night I sank into depression and ate some new york superfudge chunk depression ice cream. There was a small voice somewhere deep in side whispering "salad! salad!" but I ignored it and dove into the chocolately goodness. It didn't make me feel any better, but it was sure yummy.
Today I hope to spend some quality time with vegetables having pretty much ignored them the last two days. This is my problem....I can easily go most of the day without eating anything, because I am occupied and thinking about food all day for work makes me less hungry. But then when I do hit the wall and feel super hungry, I immediately want something that is going to be easy and filling. So often this means bread and cheese which will fill me up superfast. Vegetables take too long and are not as filling. I was doing a good job of consciously reversing this trend for a while there, but I got sidetracked by the ankle and bam! Back to the old habits. So today is going to be VEGETABLE DAY! I've got some leafy kale in the fridge and I know how to use it.
Alright, on to more exciting news: I got the new picture phone! Woowoo! This phone comes complete with a built in tip calculator, and Jilly showed me yesterday that this phone also has a speaker function. She tried it out with her mom and it worked great. This will definitely come in handy for me when people call to chat and I am in the middle of something. It happens quite a lot. I took what turned out to be an extremely arty picture of my pirate sticker for the wallpaper of my phone...arty in that in addition to a pretty clear shot of the sticker, there is a very ghostly shadow of my face. It looks super cool! I will try to figure out how to send it to flickr and then I can share it. I feel like a whole new adventure is opening up before me.
Last night when it turned out that I wasn't going out for beers(which in light of how I ended up feeling last night I think is a very good thing) I spent a lot of time online searching for ringtones. I found several on Ringtone Jukebox that had me bouncing in my seat, including a polyphonic ringtone of "She's In Parties" by bauhaus. I was all set to order it and several others when it turns out that Ringtone Jukebox is NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MY PHONE. WTF?!?! Crestfallen. The verizon ringtone site has a lot of things that are pretty cool but they are "realtones", meaning that it plays actual snippets of the song rather than an adorable polyphonic version. Something about the old skool charm really gets me, so I am going to keep searching till I can find the polyphonic ringtone site of my dreams. In the meantime, my phone rings "When The Saints Go Marching In" in a very nawlins jazzy spirit, and that suites me just fine. I was really looking forward to UB40's "Red Red Wine" , but maybe it's just a matter of waiting for ringtone jukebox to catch up. Apparently my phone is all kinds of brandnew so maybe they just haven't listed it yet. I can hope.
Today is going to be a major day...hanging out with rebby a little in the morning, making jicama salad and doing some dishes and laundry in the afternoon, and then going in to work at 2pm for Cinco De Mayo supper. I was going to try to get out and see some music tonight but now that I have to work this super long shift it's looking pretty doubtful. Sigh. Tomorrow Jennie and I are going on the Whole Health Expo adventure, to get our chakras read and our ears candled and to see what the Ekankar folks are up to these days. I'm really excited! After the expo I need to go in to the restaurant to do prep for brunch, as the brand new prep guy who hadn't even worked one actual shift yet gave his resignation yesterday because he got an offer from a music store. What-eva. That's cool. Sunday I'm commandeering a theme brunch dedicated to Famous Vegetarians and Vegans, featuring dishes inspired by Einstein, Rikki Rocket, Dennis Kucinich, and both Doctor Spocks. (Benjamin and Vulcan) The all vegetarian and vegan soundtrack is set to include Massive Attack, Outkast, Fiona Apple, Black Sabbath, Erykah Badu, and maybe even Earth Crisis if I can find a crusty punk with a CD. It's gonna be a good ole time!
Today I vow to eat vegetables and be in a better mood. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home