Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter! Easter totally caught me by surprise...I don't have any candy or eggs or nothin. Oh well. I guess that's really for the best in the long run. I might watch Jesus Christ Superstar later on today to commemorate. I got an invite to dinner at dad's but I don't know that I want to negotiate the transportation. Plus, there's all this laundry to do!
So, weekend update: Friday was another hard day at the QS. I worked a long shift on the line, from 8am-3pm, and people kept coming in clumps. So I would get like 6 orders in at once, totally spazz out and get them all done, then sit for 20 minutes until the next clump of 10 people came in. I really prefer a steady flow of 2-3 people at a time, but what can you do. You can't make them wait.
After work I got home and chilled a little bit, then went to the store to get ingredients for dinner. Bought all the stuff for tuna casserole(it was all on sale, it being Good Friday and all...hooorah!) and came home and got to work. I have to say that the tuna casserole was exceptionally good, on account of the mushroom soup with roasted garlic, I think. Threw together a side salad and garlic toast and then took a shower. Juli showed up right on time with a six pack of some really yummy organic beer(I can't remember the name!) and we ate and drank and watched the end of the Simpsons and then some Love and Rockets videos. At 9:30pm I got all antsy because the Science Fiction Idols had sent me a message saying it was going to be an EARLY SHOW!!!!! so we climbed in the truck and headed down to the Pub. Of course, the SciFiIdols were just bluffing so that people would not miss THEIR set, since they never go on first. We got some beers and sat at a table, and Joel came and sat with us. He was so happy to see Juli! It seriously was the most animated and happy I have seen Joel in a really long time. We shot the shit (that man can work fuck into a sentence more times than anyone else I know, and make it sound completely natural!) and other people came to say hello to Joel. Including Smith and his new husband, very drunk and flaming the place up like crazy. It struck me as very funny how sitting in the middle of the Pub with Joel for half an hour made me privy to so much juicy gossip about the Pittsburgh music scene....ha! People like to tell Joel their secrets, I guess.
So finally the show got started. The crowd was sparse and weird, and the Idols seemed to lack energy because of it. Or maybe it was just going on first, I don't know. They played a very short set and while nothing was BAD, it didn't really sparkle either. Oh well. I'm always happy just to hear Bobby's guitar playing. We got some more beers and sat back down for the changeover.....the Sex Slaves had the SHINIEST amplifiers I have ever seen. It looked like they were covered in hubcaps. I'll bet they were very expensive, cuz boy did they sound GREAT! So they got on stage and we got up front, and I was accosted by a girl I met on a drunken night at Gooskis very long ago. She was the person who tried to get me into the leather basement at Donny's. Good times. She had driven all the way from NY to see the Sex Slaves(well, not just to see the Sex Slaves, also to see Smith and the Cynics) and she was VERY into it. I have to say that I was not so very into it....they were tight, and their sound was really good, but the songs were pretty stupid. They did some fun covers... the Misfits and David Allen Coe, and they had a lot of energy. And they were pretty sexy boys. But overall, I didn't feel like they had that SOMETHING. They certainly were no 7 Shot Screamers, I can say that for sure.
Finally they were done and we went back to sit down and try to keep from falling asleep before the Cheats. Seriously, we were all yawning pretty much constantly...full bellies and 4-6 beers each will do that. They got set up pretty quick though, and then we ran back down front to watch. I think the Cheats are my new favorite local band, just seriously fun punk rock. People love to throw beer on them. They love it too. They didn't do either of my favorite covers (Jet Boy Jet Girl or Surrender) but they did the Sex Pistols and the Heatbreakers, and it was just a good ole time. We beat it out of there pretty quick afterwards, and totally crashed when we got home. So sleepy.
So sleepy, and so hungover that I didn't wake up for my shows! I woke up with a pounding headache at 9:25, ran into the livingroom and turned on the TV, only to see that my political analyst boyfriend was on McLaughlin Group. Dang! I got to see him talk a little bit about the possibility that Bush is going to Nuke Iran (he said it was completely impossible that this administration would do something that stupid) I took some aspirin and made some coffee, and Rebby made some breakfast. Yay! We watched Bob Abernathy and a little bit of the cooking shows, then we had to figure out what to do with the gorgeous day.
Ended up taking a thrift store field trip....first to the St Vincent De Paul store in Sharpsburg. I had no desire to look at clothes, but I found a gorgeous 12 cup electric percolator pot (very Jetson's looking) and a Kris Kristofferson album, and a Power Yoga video. Rebby got a bunch of records, including two really good Jackson 5 albums in great condition. Then we decided to take the leisurely drive to the American Thrift in West Mifflin. On the way, I began to have the most intense craving for a chili dog (we figured that it had to do with John Cougar Mellencamp because we had passed the Tastee Freeze on the way to Sharpsburg) Lo and behold, there is an A&W on the way to the American Thrift! So we stopped for lunch and had coney dogs and root beer floats, which we ate sitting on the tailgate of the truck in the parking lot. It was absolutely gorgeous, bright blue sky. The prettiest day evah!
We got over to the American Thrift where everything but green tags was 1/2 off. Of course, everything I REALLY wanted had a green tag, but oh well. I got a Galloping Gourmet cookbook(SCORE!) a pile of Natural Health and Organic Style magazines, a cassette of Pyromania(SCORE!) a pair of gray work out pants, and.....a David J hat. I think it is an Amish hat, but it looks very much like the one that David J wears in the No New Tale to Tell video. I can't find a picture...you know the one I mean. It made me so happy! I want to wear it all the time. I want to be in a band immediately so I can wear it onstage and in promotional photos. It looks GOOD!
So, after that fantastic score (oh! Rebby found a pair of red Pumas in great condition, and the Wayne's World movie! woohoo!) we went to the Foodland in the same plaza to get stuff for dinner on the grill. Let me just say that it is a sad experience to shop at a place like that when you are used to the Market District Shopping Wonderland. Not only did they have no goat cheese, they had no couscous. Nowhere in the store. Sigh. So we got beets and asparagus, sirloin steaks, some red beans and rice mix, blue cheese to put on the beets, and then headed to the new place for a grilltastic adventure. I sat in the backyard and read magazines whilst Rebby got everything ready. We had a fabulous grilled dinner under the sky..it was blissful. Then we came home and even though I fired up my new percolator pot and had a cup of coffee, we crashed hard by 11pm. A good, good day.
I plan to spend Easter doing laundry and cleaning. One of the magazines I got yesterday had a great article on cleaning out the closets that I want to use. I seriously want to get rid of more stuff. I'm obsessed!

1 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

It was Wolaver's Pale Ale that I took over. (Here.) The tuna casserole was the best ever!! I still can't believe I ate *three* servings. And I loved watching the Love & Rockets videos. That Daniel Ash. Mmmm. It was fun to go to the Pub too. I need to get down there more often. My favorite band of the night was definitely The Cheats. Glad you had some good thrift store luck. I find that St. Vincent de Paul to be a wee bit pricy, but I always find good sewing notions there. Alright, what a long comment! Happy Easter!!

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home