Saturday, December 10, 2005

Alcohol is My Yoga, Baby

Let's start the Toronto review with a review of the bars we visited, shall we? Since alcohol is my yoga, and all.
Monday night we rolled in and rolled out into the very cold street. After a little meal(which will be discussed in the "restaurant" portion of the Toronto review) we walked a lot more in the cold till we ended up on King Street. After ducking in to a British or something pub, we walked across the street to Hey Lucy, which looked promising. It was very cute inside, and we were fooled into thinking that maybe they had a heated smoking patio by the large banner that said "rooftop patio" strung across the front of the building. It didn't, but they did have a small corral in front where one could take one's drink out with them to smoke. The place was dead enough that we could take two seats at the bar and a small table across so we could talk to each other which was nice. Little Mama was very excited about the Red Bull martini menu---until the talking cleavage behind the bar let her know that they no longer had Red Bull OR Champagne, and she didn't know why they hadn't bothered to change the menu yet. Oops. She ended up getting a lychee martini, which was very pretty and tasty. I got something that was creamy and good, but I can't remember what it was called or even what was actually in it. The martini glasses they used were squat little things that looked kinda weird, but we decided they were probably a good idea in the long run. Jilly and Deb both ordered White Russians, and here is where the real trouble began. Jilly took one sip and said to the cleavage, "Is there vodka in this?" The cleavage looked at her and looked at the drink and said "No, White Russians are never made with vodka, just Kaluha and milk." I bristled and immediately rummaged in my purse to see if I had managed to pack any LUPEC business cards, which of course I had not. So they suffered through some of their unpleasant milk cocktails and got some other alcohol, and then we beat it out of there and went to smoke.
After a good deal more walking and smoking in the freezing cold, we decided to hit the hotel bar for a nightcap.Accents is very old fashioned stately charming, and boasted lots of faded 8x10s of past celebrity guests on the walls. I was very excited to see that David Lee Roth and Foreigner were among the dignitaries. The service was very fine and the bartendress helped me with my selection by suggesting that a coffee cocktail was a good way to warm up. So I had a very delish baileys and coffee with whipped cream on the top. I can't remember what the other ladies selected, but we were all very happy and warm when we went to bed.
Tuesday we walked a long way in the freezing cold(sense a pattern?) and in the afternoon we settled happily into the Bedford Ballroom, a very pubby spot on the campus drag. Here we had our first run in with the ginormous Hoegaarden glasses which were to be a constant hilight of the trip. The barkeep insisted that they really were a pint, tho it was pretty damn hard to believe. I had my first delicious Boddington of the trip, and was very satisfied. There was some pool playing and hangin out on very comfy couches and smoking on the fucking freezing cold patio. Then we walked a long way in the cold. On our walk we passed the BSC, Bovine Sex Club. It is with great sadness that I report we did not know at the time that they have a smoking room and also that Slash and Nikki Sixx hang out there when they are in town. As they probably weren't in town, we didn't miss them. But we did check out the "intimidating metal sculpture" on the outside.
Later in the night we went out for dinner, and then ended up at The Done Right Inn(can't find any really good links for it) This was a very chill little place with more comfy couches, a good DJ, some vintage pinball machines, and a very fucking cold heated smoking patio. I had a Red Stripe and chatted with some lame locals in the smoking patio. We heard Joanna Newsome and Jilly went and bought her CD the next day in Greektown. I can't remember what the other ladies had. I should have paid more attention.
Wednesday we walked a lot in the fucking cold, including Greektown and most of Queen Street West. We had our afternoon libation at Squirly's probably my favorite place we went of the trip. Not just because it is called Squirly's and has an adorable little squirrel with a martini on the matchbook, but also because the place was gorgeous and chill and I had a mad crush on the lady working the bar. She made me a brandy alexander which she realized as I told my companions what it was she had failed to put the cream de cacao in--instead of trying to pretend it was supposed to be that way like the cleavage at Hey Lucy did, she took the drink back and remixed it. Classy. She was also very informative and sweet and HOT, whooboy. She told us where the Lush store was and where we might be able to get American cigarettes. She also gave Jilly a free birthday shot of bourbon. I tipped her big. We didn't get a look at the tiki patio, but I am sure it was awesome. The bathroom has a lovely mural of a geisha on the walls. You should totally check this place out if you ever are in the area.
Later in the night we went to the Red Tomato for Jilly's birthday dinner. I'll talk more about that when I get to the restaurant review portion. After dinner we tried to find dancing, but people don't dance in Toronto on a Wednesday night. We peeked into the Bovine Sex Club, but it apparently wasn't happenin. So we went to the Velvet Underground, which also had some mildly intimidating metal sculpture out front. There was supposed to be dancing there, but first there were some punk bands to get through. The door guy was really friendly and they had a nice smoking torch out front, where I bonded with a funny guy who was also having his birthday and was out with a giant group of multinational friends. The import beers there were really expensive and we started to fear running out of Canadian money(luckily, we feared drinking Upper Canadian even more) so we got well drinks instead...which weren't much cheaper. I was digging the punk music and the crowd but the rest of the ladies wanted to try to find real dancing, so we left after one game of pool.
Walked a long way in the fucking cold trying to find Cobalt, which we thought was really going to provide dancing. Somehow I had gotten the address wrong by one number and we stood staring agape at some kind of insurance building where the club was supposed to be. Next door was Sneaky Dee's, where Becky and I had pretty good food when we were there while waiting for the Cineforum films. Some of us had to pee, and all of us were fucking cold and a little despondent, so we decided to go in there. We got a booth and used the bathroom which was apparently horrifying, and we counted up all our Canadian money in a pile. I grabbed a newspaper and discovered that Cobalt was actually across the street, so we gathered up the money and went back out. Found Cobalt, and it was another little chill spot. The drinks menu was fantastic, and I was so very excited to try their Grasshopper, which somehow had brandy and lemon in it in addition to the cream and creme de menthe. The gorgeous gay barkeep came back about a minute later to tell me that the cream smelt like a turkey dinner and he didn't want to serve it to me, so I got a scotch and ginger instead. The other ladies got gorgeous martinis which I forget the name of, but they were big and beautiful and delicious. Jilly got the feeling that it was a gay bar,but I don't think it was. I think it might have been a particularly gay-ful night though. Another spot I would highly recommend if you are in the vicinity. A couple got up and danced amongst the tables and chairs to the smooth indie beats, but we were all a little too tired out by then.
This concludes my little drinking tour of Toronto. Hope you have enjoyed it. Stay tuned for shopping, eating, and cabbie tours of Toronto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home