Monday, November 21, 2005

I Could Shine All Over You

There's a lot I could say about my whirlwind trip to Cleveland...so much that I can't even imagine trying to say it all.
So instead I'm only going to talk about the Bauhaus show. Because all I really want to talk about is my new boyfriend, Daniel Ash.
I was wholly unprepared for the sight of him, let alone the fact that he is a freakin MUSICAL GENIUS. Ya see, listening to Bauhaus back in the 80's I just assumed that they made all those sounds with synthesizers. Cuz that's what everybody did in the 80's. right? I was cool with that. But then he appeared on the stage in these incredibly hot velvet pants with buttons up the calf. He had on a black muscle shirt, and his hair was "vectoring downward"(someone used a similar description to talk about Robert Smith recently(vectoring upwards, of course) and I just thought that was the funniest thing ever) and he was wearing some Bono-esque big sunglasses and playing a mirrored guitar. Out of which he created ALL THE SOUNDS OF THE BAUHAUS RECORDS. Seriously, he hardly even used pedals. It was freakin amazing. So there I am 20 or so feet from the stage, with a tall guy mercifully blocking my view of Peter Murphy who's appearance disturbed me(he looked a little too much like a cross between John Waters and my ex roomate) just being completely overcome by the spectacle of Daniel Ash. Then what does he do? He goes off stage in a puff of smoke, and returns playing a SAXAPHONE. So now the band is drums, bass, saxaphone and singing, and it sounds full and rich and amazing. My head is exploding. AND THEN...and then my new boyfriend(I announced to Jennie that he was my new boyfriend after the saxaphone thing) proceeds to play slide guitar WITH A DRUMSTICK. And he just kept doing stuff like that, song after song making these incredible sounds happen right in front of my eyes. Almost every song I wanted to hear was played. My hilight of the regular set was "Swing the Heartache", one of the most bizarre musical moments of the show and of bauhaus and of my personal hit parade. And they also did "Slice of Life" which is the bauhaus hit that my boyfriend sings. Of course he sounded as beautiful as he looked singing it.
And then, they did Bela. They all went offstage and came back in their fancy dress. My boyfriend was wearing a leather pirate coat and a big black feathered hat. What, he doubted my love? He thought he had to clinch it with a big black feathered hat? Honey, I was yours at hello. Well, hello and the saxaphone.
They also did Telegram Sam and Ziggy just to make sure that I wept actual tears of joy. Peter pointed at Daniel when he sang the line "but boy could he play guitar" and I lost my balance. I was having a full on hysterical fit. The cute little gay goth boy who had been dancing beside me all night helped me right myself.
And then it was all over way too soon. I was seriously overcome with the kind of groupie lust I don't normally get(you may find that laughable, but it's true!) I was magnetically drawn to the tour bus, but of course I maintained control and went with Jennie to the gas station so she could get a smirnoff ice and I could get a doctor pepper and some batteries.
On the busride home, she very sweetly let me listen to "Go!" on her ipod. Living it up, it's a big kick it's good for you! All that and a positive message!
And then last night the googling began. I had forgotten all about the BUBBLEMEN.
Just when you are starting to think Daniel Ash might be the sexiest most talented upbeat dude in the world, he kicks it up a notch by dressing in a giant bee costume. (okay, the bubblemen aren't bees. They are giant wobblers from the planet girl. But you know what I mean, right?) Dude, I TOTALLY had the Bubblemen Rap! album back in college.
Now I'm listening to Earth Sun Moon and remembering that I was totally in love with Daniel Ash back then too. I just forgot!

1 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

But Daniel Ash can't be your boyfriend because he's my boyfriend!! Ha ha. I LOVED him when I was in NY and was so thrilled when I got to see Love & Rockets. He's awesome.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home