Sunday, August 19, 2007

Well, it's been some kinda week around here!
Tuesday night we had a really fun show at the brillobox with the bleeders from erie and the degenerettes from baltimore. It wasn't what you would call a crowd, but for a Tuesday night it wasn't bad at all. Lots of storm-y friends came out to support. That's always nice. The bleeders are really great, high energy riot grrrrl style, and they have that "band from erie" aura about them. It's a spirit of togetherness that I think comes from trying to play in a really small music scene, like tiny little help had in albuquerque. The Degenerettes were just amazing, doing rockabilly inflected covers of "Never Say Never" and "Ask" by the Smiths, and their own rockin tunes. Plus, again, just some really awesome people to hang with. Our set was strange but fun, and after the show we all came back to the Mayflower Manse for a cocktail and weird food session. Seriously, I fed them mashed potatoes, steamed vegetable buns, couscous with tomatoes, and cucumber salad. But they appreciated it.
Wednesday morning Jilly and I had a meeting to pin down logistics for what may be our most complicated wedding to date. There are some venue issues that needed to be solved, and we are also going to be working with a wedding coordinator. We'll see how that goes.
Thursday, I honestly can't remember. Friday after work rebby and I headed to the Warhol to see a panel discussion about Homophobia, Transphobia, and being Black and Gay in Pittsburgh. It was moderated by this amazing person named Deryck Tines, who is a very fabulous black and gay minister. He was talking about starting a LGBT gospel choir and my ears perked right up! I hope I can get involved. I can't imagine anything more fun than siging gospel music with a bunch of drag queens! Anyway, the talk was a little unfocused, but hearing people's stories was very uplifting. After the talk there was a (not very good) drag performance, and then we went upstairs to see the Teenie Harris photos of drag people from the 1940's and 50's. Truly amazing. If you have the chance to see the exhibit I encourage you to do so...or wait until the fall when it will be shown at Space Gallery downtown, with a complimentary exhibit of photographs of Pittsburgh's current black lgbt community. I can't wait for that.
We also checked out the "Personal Jesus" exhibit of andy and keith haring's religious art. The Andy stuff I had mostly seen before, but the Keith Haring paintings blew my mind. Some of them are so funny, and all of them are really powerful and a whole other dimension to Keith's work. I have to say, though....the descriptive statement, written by the museum curator, sent me into a blinding rage. It had nothing to do with content...in fact, I didn't even read past the second paragraph, so I couldn't tell you much about the content. What I can tell you is that in the first two paragraphs of this full-wall length statement, I saw four typo/spelling/grammatical errors. Despite the occasional spelling/grammatical error in this blog, which I write stream of consciousness style and barely ever even spellcheck, I am a stickler for correct English. Especially in something that is going to be posted six feet long on a gallery wall and be a representative of a museum's professionalism (or, say, a representative of an executive chef's professionalism, or a high gloss upscale fashion magazine editor's professionalism...etc) I was so upset by it that it actually diminished my enjoyment of the evening. But I really, really enjoyed the evening, and rebby and I made a pact to go to the warhol more often.
Yesterday, we got up early and did the Strip thing...Deluca's breakfast, Reynas for tortilla chips and Fortune's for more coffee and Penn Mac for pine nuts and olive oil, and the Slow Food farmer's market for bacon and bread. On the way home we stopped at the garden and visited with the Polish Hill prince and his mom, and then came home and set to preparing things...pesto, grating zucchini to freeze, lasagne, and a fruit cobbler with the last bits of cherries, plums and peaches in the fridge. We ate the lasagne right out of the oven before heading to Larryville for our second show of the week, but the cobbler I left on the counter to cool. The show was kind of fun--you can see millions of photos courtesy of rebbyro on flickr. Very, very, exploding plastic inevitable, if I do say so myself. The variety of archetypal HIPSTERS at this gallery show shocked me. I guess Larryville must be their natural habitat, when they aren't drinking at the brillobox. It was fun to play outside and I actually could kind of see the reflection of the projections in the plate glass window of the loft building across the street.
When we were done playing we drove back home, ready for some cobbler. Only to find it swarming, I mean SWARMING, with ants. We've had an ant invasion lately and no amount of cajoling will convince them to hang outside instead. So it's back to Home Depot for more heavy duty killing ammunition. I pitched the whole thing in the trash and went to bed with the begining of a blinding headache from smoking one american spirit cigarette and drinking one cup of bourbon punch. Lord help me, I've become "edge."
Today was brunch and despite the lingering blinding headache, it was a good time. The people came out in the rain to eat up all my vegan blueberry stuffed french toast and potato-soysage mole enchiladas. Today was a good day to be a vegan.

1 Comments:

Blogger ItWasInevitable said...

Sorry I didn't make it to the show - I still wasn't feeling right. Glad it went well. As for the ants, we had that problem but they miraculously disappeared. I did clean everything with Lysol Multi-Purpose Cleaner though.

XO
WD

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home