Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hi there!
I am sitting in panera bread on center ave, soaking up coffee and free internet. I am taking a break from apartment cleaning, and waiting for someone to move their car from in front of my street so the carpet guys can clean the carpet. I fear that it isn't going to happen today, and then I am probably going to have to try to schedule it for the weekend or something. Grrrr.
So, this whole moving thing has been going along pretty well, with a couple of minor snags. The main snag is the fact that it is still yet to be determined if I can even get PHONE service at my new house, let alone internet. Apparently the people who lived in the house last had some janky non-Verizon phone service, so the lines are not connected. So, tomorrow I am spending my day off hanging out at my house and waiting for the $91+ Verizon tech to come and figure out what is wrong with my phone lines. Hopefully he can make it so that the DSL will work too, and I won't have to pay for another $91 service call to figure out that problem. Let this be a lesson to you....just because you've paid for a monthly inside maintenance contract in the past and never needed it, don't get cocky and assume that you won't need it when you move in to a 107 year old house. Sigh.
In the meantime I am gathering my internet while I may. I can't actually use the free wireless at my place of employment because my computer swears it requires a network key(it seems to do this with XP computers exclusively. hmm) I have checked my email at the East Liberty CLPGH and here at Panera and at the Lang residence.
Speaking of which....Sunday evening we had planned to go to the lang residence to pick up Roxanne for her move to the new house. I decided to bring along my computer to check in with the online world while rebby gathered Roxanne's things. Since I have become addicted to craigslist and freecycle, I checked both of those. On craigslist I found a washer and dryer in Mt Lebanon for $100, so I emailed the guy. Then, I found a curb alert on freecycle---a washer and dryer in regent square FOR FREE!
So we jumped in the truck and sped over to the very rich part of Regent Square where people discard appliances with very little wrong with them. The posting said the washer needs a new timer but the dryer is fine. So rebby and I loaded a free washer and dryer into the back of the pickup truck. We stopped at the regent square theater to get the dolly, and then we proceeded to load the washer and dryer into our basement! We really lucked out with the alley behind the house and the 7 steps down into the basement from the back patio. Monday night rebby went to Home Depot and got all the parts to hook them up, and last night I did LAUNDRY in the NEW HOME! The timer issue plays out in that the washer does not stop filling by itself---luckily the floor drain is right there. Once I figured out that issue I just sat in front of the washer on my free barstool(from rebby's new work) and watched it fill up, then manuall turned the dial. Ta-da! The dryer works really well, and the washer is usable for the time being, so we are in great shape!
I've been doing my best to put things away--we are going to need a lot more shelving units, I can already tell. Especially for video tapes and CDs, of which we have waaaay too many. I am also still looking for the perfect desk to replace the big metal one I am not taking to the house. I can wait(especially since it may be a while till I can use the internet in my house!) We need rugs and lamps. I can't wait till we have a free day and some pocket money to hit some of the thrift stores. Maybe Sunday.
I love my new house! It is hard to be away from it, but today is dedicated to getting the apartment all taken care of so I don't have to go back. There is more stuff still there than I had realized---but it should all be gone by this evening.
Defrosting the freezer, scrubbing the bathroom and kitchen, wiping down the walls and light fixtures. Vacuuming all the incense ash off the mantel in the living room.
And then, dealing with the desk and filing cabinet. That's it! Not so bad. I just wish it was over.
Tomorrow I will be at the new house all day, doing some catering stuff and waiting for the Verizon tech I scheduled via a phone call with the robot lady. The robot lady really creeps me out, but I guess it is nice to be able to just deal with your problem rather than having to wait for a human. Then Friday I'm back to work, doing last minute catering stuff, then Saturday is the first wedding of the season! And then after that, the second wedding of the season on the 4th! Woohoo! Then a break.
I can't wait.
I'll check in again when I can...in the meantime, look for some pics on flickr. I can email them right from my phone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home