Monday, July 30, 2007

Soooooooooo.....
according to Verizon, I should be receiving my welcome kit today or tomorrow and my service should be activated by Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed. I won't have a lot of time to worry about it this week because we have another wedding this saturday that I need to prep for, but this is at least better news than "we're not sure you can get dsl at all. We'll keep trying." I was starting to feel like Verizon customer service uses a magic 8 ball to answer questions.
The wedding on Saturday, though held in one of those Mega-Churches and featuring a really offensive speech by the best man about "the most important thing is to get a good christian woman", was very easy and ultimately fun. Both Jilly and I still got the "pre-wedding jitters", I think mostly because it was our first wedding of the season and we always feel a little rusty. But it went smoothly, and people were very pleased with the vegan spread even thought none of them but the bridal couple were vegan. We've got another all vegan wedding this saturday in Morgantown, which I think will be a lot of fun too. It's in some kind of woodsy lodge setting. I'm looking forward to it, but also looking forward to having most of the rest of the month off from catering.
Thanks to the kindness of Leslie, I was able to go to the big rock show and drink a six pack of Coronas on Saturday night. The Brains were fantastic, despite not having played together in over 6 months. They even learned some Weakness songs since it was supposed to be a weakness show but Chris had a skateboarding accident and they had to cancel. It's just always such a party when the Brains hit the stage!
Local Honey was difficult for me. I love Becky's voice, and she has such great stage presence, but I think she needs a stronger band. Or to reconfigure, or something. I think she could retain the boozy looseness but be a little more solid. But it was great to hear her songs and everyone had a good time.
Crow Flies---sheesh. I just can't even really talk about how much I love this band...it's a deep in the bones kind of love, consisting of memories of my first entry to the Pittsburgh rock scene and appreciation for amazing musicianship that comes from being older and having rocked for a long time. Those guys just bring it, and make it look effortless. I missed Wick a lot, but seeing DR Rawk in his Led Zep shorts, and hearing the new songs which sound as exciting and classic as the old stuff, and yeah, the six pack of coronas.....it was just a magical night. I am so thankful.
Sunday we lazed in bed until well after noon! And had a nice breakfast, and took the recyclables to the junction, and shopped the co-op, and had a nice dinner and did some laundry and went to bed. A really fine day off.
Today I am finishing up the apartment one way or another, then maybe stopping at the farmer's market, then home for another fine dinner. And then back to reality. I think I'm ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home