Monday, July 02, 2007

Good morning!
I'm off today, but I got up early with my adorable little AV Tech to make her some coffee before she headed off into the world. I have hours of packing ahead of me today. Packing, laundry, bill paying, and hopefully downloading some songs before my emusic credits expire for this month. It may already be too late, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen on the first so I might have a chance.
Saturday was a kinda fun day----I worked breakfast and my croissant special sold well. That's always gratifying. I made a vegan blueberry crumbcake, and then rebby picked me up and we headed over to the house. We put the feet on our new gorgeous couch and chair and ottoman set (we inherited this set from a friend who recently moved---I wasn't sure how I felt about it from memory but once I sat down on the chair I realized it was absolutely HEAVENLY!) and moved them into position in what we have deemed the "culture room". This is the front room of the first floor---the one with the crazy art deco/pagan goddess fireplace. We decided this room will be for reading, having cocktails, and listening to old records on the hi-fi. The second room will be the "media room" with TV and CD/DVD player. We also hung the pirate sign on the bathroom, and installed Jesus and St Claire on the mantelpiece. It was hard to leave, but we were headed over to Growler Hours to get some local beer. Boy howdy, I had no idea the brewer and his assistant were such fun talkative guys who just love to pour beer! By the time we got there they had gone from 7 to 4 varieties on tap, but we still got plenty buzz on. We ended up getting a growler of the Kvass (which I call Russian Bread Beer because the tap handle has a big loaf of bread on it) and a bottle of the New Smokestack Heritage Porter. We haven't cracked that open yet but it's waiting in our new fridge.
After the very pleasant hour we passed at the brewery, we went over to the Lang compound to grill some of our happy pig porkchops from the farm share we purchased. Rebby also picked up some grass fed beef which I can't wait to taste. We had the porkchops with just a little hickory salt, and a big salad of Kretschmann greens and some radishes we got for free from the farmer's market (they threw them in after I bought a dollar's worth of garlic. Sweet deal!) A little roasted yellow squash and garlic toast and pints of fresh beer in our new KISS glasses (I had Destroyer, she had Rock and Roll Over) That's livin, folks! We had some frozen fruit bars for dessert and then headed over to the home depot to browse paint samples and air circulators. I THINK I've found the orange and blue paint combo I want....it's really hard to commit though. You know? I feel like I need to bring my ikea lamp and a cobalt martini glass in with me to match. I picked up all the color combo literature they had available....truth is, I have spent so much mental energy on the kitchen colors that I haven't thought about painting any of the other rooms! I think we should wait to choose colors for the culture room till we see what color the fireplace is underneath all that insane white paint. We picked out the air circulator we wanted, and then I stumbled upon the PERFECT ceiling fan for my kitchen. 20% off! I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but the kitchen is currently rocking two very institutional light fixtures. Not cool. We didn't buy them then since it was late and we didn't want to have to haul them up to my apartment and then back down. So we just came back here to sleep since I had to surprise work brunch.
Brunch was SLOW, but my specials sold proportionately well. There just weren't that many customers total. Rebby called me on her new CELL PHONE! (she HAS to have one for work. It's my dream come true!) and brought me home to change. Then we headed back over to the depot to make our purchases. It was fun to run into some fellow homeowner friends of ours. It really is a whole different feeling to go to home depot when you actually do OWN a home. We got our fans and some protective goggles and then back to the house.
Didn't do much but measure for screens and sit on the couch, and then just as we were getting ready to leave, we got our very first visitors! Laura and Mike biked over and brought us a bottle of champagne. So sweet! We gave them the tour and then hung out in our culture room for a while, talking about their home buying plans. Then back over to rebby's for dinner again and to watch the simpsons. I can't wait till we have ONE home instead of three ( or four, if you count home depot) It won't be long now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home