Friday, July 06, 2007

Attention: fans of Christina Ricci, Johnny Depp, John Tuturro, Cate Blanchett, and Harry Dean Stanton. This is a public service announcement to save you from a very disappointing viewing experience.
Fourth of July night we did not end up going to the woods party after all. Anita got an infected foot from walking barefoot in the creek (ouch!) so we couldn't play. We thought about going to the party anyways, to see what it would be like, but by the time I worked a long busy day at the restaurant and rebby moved a couple truckloads of stuff to the new house, we chose to lay low. So we went over to the Bonello compound and grilled some grassfed beef burgers (oh YES! so GOOD!) and had a giant salad and some BBQ fries, and some of our pirate beers and then headed back to my place to watch a netflix movie. My netflix queue has reached the Johnny Depp ouvre countdown, so this set included Ed Wood and The Man Who Cried. Reading the description of The Man Who Cried, I could not understand how I had not heard of this film.....Christina Ricci as a showgirl in 1930s Paris? Johnny Depp as a gypsy? How could this not be the sexiest film ever?
I'll tell you how.
Good lord, it was just a train wreck. I have not seen that kind of wasted talent in a long time. Neither Christina nor Johnny have more than 20 lines in the whole thing. They both do a LOT of brooding. Cate's russian accent sounds like she studied old Rocky and Bullwinkle Boris and Natasha episodes. The lip synching to opera (John Tuturro) and plaintive English folksong (christina) is appalling. The editing sucks. The story is so undeveloped you really can't follow it. About the ONLY reason to watch this film is if you think you might get turned on watching Johnny Depp and/or Christina Ricci shoveling horse shit. (um, I mean that literally, but it's a pretty apt metaphor as well) So very disappointing. Please stay away.
In other news, I am now a full fledged craigslist addict. We did manage to actually get a couple things (floor lamps, a wastebasket, some dishes, and a toaster oven) courtesy of a craigslist moving sale, and we may go today to pick up a nice Ikea wood shelving unit for cheap. I have written down numbers for about 15 different electric dryers, but so far we are unwilling to commit. Maybe this weekend we'll get serious about getting a washer and dryer. I'm definitely all about recycling furniture, so we want to avoid buying new things as much as possible. But, I also need to avoid buying things we really don't need just because they're cheap. Some guy was selling a porch glider that I became absolutely obsessed with, but a porch glider is not something we NEED. See? I can do it. Yes it's a giant house, and yes, we have very little in the way of furniture, but that doesn't mean we need to get every thing that catches my eye. Still.....I like to look. That's not a crime.
Today is another day off, full of packing and later picking up a kitchen table and chairs and perhaps some other furniture things from Jesse and Thad who are moving to Chicago. We really lucked out timing wise with our move as far as receiving the bounty of friends who are leaving town!
OK...I better get to work. Those books are not going to pack themselves!

3 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

Last night in one my dreams, I was calling furniture stores and asking them if they sold porch gliders! Ha. In another part, I made banana peppers stuffed with bread crumbs and cheese, served over rice and now that's what I want to eat. Good luck packing today!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that movie is also directed by sally potter (Orlando) - another reason to be incredibly disappointed.

9:32 AM  
Blogger ItWasInevitable said...

I have two metal cabinets in my basement - they both need lots of work, but if you need a metal cabinet, you can have one.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home