Thursday, May 11, 2006

It's the calm before the storm.
In a few minutes, I will walk down to the MARKET DISTRICT for cooking oil and toilet paper and soda water and maybe something fun to eat, depending on how much booty the alien head delivers. Then, I'll get home and rig up the DVD player with Alice Cooper Brutally Live, starring Ryan Roxie and his sexual muppet dreads. Then, I will commence to cookin'. I've got mini samosas and black bean cakes on my plate tonight...and half the battle is already fought as I mixed up the batters for both at work today. So it's just a matter of forming and baking (black bean cakes) or rolling out dough, shaping, and frying (samosas) At least I think samosas are fried. I better get a recipe.
The past couple of days have been a flurry of activity, none of it all that newsworthy. I went out to dinner at Sharp Edge Monday night and was sort of disappointed (that makes twice....guess it's time to revert permanently to Lot 17, though the sudden disappearance of Bass Ale is hard to take) and then we settled in with coconut fruit bars and watched Team America. Wow, that was incredibly funny. Fuck yeah.
Tuesday I worked the dinner shift and it was all smooth sailing until right at the end when a bunch of non english speaking people all rolled through the door for a party. My barista gave them a lesson in American Restaurant Etiquette, but I ended up feeding 13 or so of the 25 or so who were there. He tacked a 20% gratuity onto their bill and let them stay an extra hour. That's the way we do it.
Yesterday I made a lot of stuff I don't remember at work, then went papergoods shopping for Saturday's wedding in the Strip. I love doing that. Then went to the gym and had a really awesome work out that left me ruddy complected for at least 1/2 an hour. That was nice. I was very energized by it and would have probably walked home if not for the fact that I had eaten nothing but fruit salad all day and didn't want to chance falling over in the street. Once I got home I made a proper dinner and watched half of Richard III.
It's super-intense and I was sort of nodding off so I gave up and took a disco nap.
Got back up at 10:30pm to fold the laundry and wash the dishes. I am very proud of myself for actually doing that.
This morning my barista was late (as is usual on a Thursday, it seems) and that put a rush on the day. He got there a little after I did so I didn't lose much time, but it always makes me jumbled when I have to open up in the morning instead of enjoying my luxurious first cup of coffee. Once I did get in the kitchen, I did a bunch of prep for the wedding, and made the cutest little grilled feta bites. They are basically tiny little grilled cheese sandwiches shaped like hearts and flowers with my tiny little canape cutter. I could not be more charmed by a cheese sandwich. I banged out some other stuff for catering and then had to do some incredible jenga to get the produce order to fit in the walk in. There is so much BEER in there from our beer nights that it is starting to take over all the food space! Not to mention the fact that milk is starting to encroach on the vegetables as well. I am really overly protective of walk in realestate, I realize, but today I was getting all bent out of shape and saying "we need another walk in for beverages!" And perhaps we do. I doubt we'll be getting that in the slowed down summer time, though.
Ok, that about catches me up. Time to go get my shop on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home