Friday, March 31, 2006

It's Friday morning! And I am having a hard time waking up. I think it must have something to do with the two pints of Sierra Nevada and lots of fresh air I got yesterday. We made it to the photography exhibition, and there were some really amazing photographs. However, it was not a "beat" photography exhibition at all. There were some photos of those dudes, but the guy's work has a much larger span. I think I might have liked some of his photos from Peru the best, and some of the photos from the churches in Harlem. The guy's name is John Cohen by the way. You might recognize the name from the liner notes to Highway 61 Revisited. I did, once I saw the excerpt posted up on the wall at the gallery. There was one "beat" picture that I just loved, of Allen Ginsberg, Peter Orlovsky and Gregory Corso. Allen was laying his head in Peter's lap with Gregory sitting to the side making a funny face. I feel like if I had that picture above my desk I just might start writing poetry again, but alas, it was only available as a $1500 print. No postcards.
After the gallery we walked down the street in the southside looking for something to eat. We ended up checking out The Locker Room, Hines Ward's "upscale sports bar". It was the only place that did not appear super packed at 6:30pm. We walked in and all the waitstaff huddled at the other end of the bar just stared at us. Finally I said "could we see a menu please?" and after a few beats one of the bartenders handed some to us. We decided to stay, and picked a high table that ended up being under a heat vent. (ugh) The waitress, wearing an extremely lowcut referee's shirt, took our drink order for two Sierra Nevada drafts. Moments later, she came back and announced "here's your two Sam Adams." Juli said, "that must be for the next table, we ordered Sierra Nevada" and the waitress said "I must have told him the wrong thing. They both start with S." and then took the beers away. Moments later, she reappeared with the same beers and said "I just said the wrong thing to YOU, they really are Sierra Nevada!" Yikes. We ordered our food and had a nice chat. I was a little concerned that she didn't ask me how I wanted my burger cooked, as that can mean I'm in for a dry old time. Which I was. The fries were really good, beer battered I think, but the burger was very dry and reminded me a lot of the Burger King across the street. I was bummed out when the ladies behind me ordered the "mini cheese burgers" and theirs appeared to be hand formed and juicy. Sigh. Live and learn. Juli's Philly Cheesesteak was similarly underwhelming. We got another round and had some more good chat, and then the bill came. The bonus thing is that our FOOD was half off, so it didn't seem all that sad in the end. If I had paid $7 for a Burger King burger, I would have been sad. $3.50 for a Burger King burger is fine. Plus, those fries were killer.
We walked down the street in the beautiful evening air, checking out the hipsters and the storefront windows and a guy I know who works at the Beehive. Then, we came across a flyer in the window advertising a performance of STAINLESS, the 80's hair metal cover band, tonight at Peter's Pub in Oakland. I am SO THERE! I have been wanting to see these guys for over a year. Going to a bar in Oakland on a Friday night will take immense guts, but I think I am up for it. After all, it's STAINLESS!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home