Saturday, March 25, 2006

So, I'm just sitting there at the Pub last night, drinking a PBR, catching up on my smoking. Minding my own business waiting for Exene. Sorta letting my eyes wander over the crowd, which is very different from the sort of crowd I usually get to see. Lots of greasers and punkers and rockabilly types, which are fun to look at. Also, several adorable cute boys who just SCREAM rockstar from every pore of their being.
So, anyway, there I am lost in my post superfuckinslammedsupper reverie, when out of nowhere, up walks this:



Only with a shirt and without facial hair. He smiles sweetly and asks if he can sit down, and proceeds to engage me in delightful conversation. I knew of course that he was some kind of rockstar, but I had no idea who he was. He asked me what my job was and when I told him I cooked in a vegetarian restaurant, he got very excited and pulled over the singer, who was also leaving a wet trail of rockstar behind him. He told me about this great philly cheesesteak style vegetarian hoagie he had had last week on tour....only couldn't remember what city it was. We finally figured out it was Cleveland. Then he excuses himself to pee, and I got up to watch the Cheats.(really incredible punk rock, with a new cutie on bass. This is the second time I've seen them and I loved them both times. This time I lost it at the end of their set because they played "Jet Boy Jet Girl". Last time they closed their set with "Surrender". You know I have to love a band that will do those songs)
OK, so I'm in a slight daze, trying to figure out just why this bundle of lovely would want to walk over and sit with me. I definitely wasn't lookin good, having just gotten out of the kitchen. Maybe he found the pigtails and bandana look comforting? I have no idea. But I was just charmed to pieces by him.
Then they were taking the stage...7 Shot Screamers. He plays the standup bass, and by plays I really means makes love to. He humped that thing like there's no tomorrow, screaming and flailing and even setting fire to it at one point. The singer boy, he was such a pretty tangle of glam/punk that it was hard to look away from him for even a second. The drummer, rocksteady and an incredible workhorse. The guitarist, with a gigantic red mohawk and waaay too cool style, just tore it up. Their noise sent me into such a frenzy that I really thought I was going to pass out on more than one occasion. AND THEN....they closed their set with...."Ballroom Blitz." Oh yes, my fate was sealed. Todd from the Cheats jumped on the stage and hoisted Mike(the elfin glampunk singerboy) into the air, and when we all sang the "yeah yeah yeah" part the roar in my ears was deafening. Unbelievable. When their set was done I ran over to Chris(the basshumper) and threw my arms around him and told him I was completely in love with them now, and I gave him a QS business card that Becky happened to have in her wallet. (she's an ass saver, that rebbyro)
He gave me another little hippie/imp grin and said they would definitely be coming for lunch today. Then I ran back to the merch table and got the CD and free buttons and stickers, and talked to Mike a little bit.
And then the setup began for the Original Sinners....what? It's the same band!!! Just take out the singerboy and replace him with Exene, and add one other guitar(the only other person from the last time we saw them) Crazy! Chris played electric bass for this set, and was just as enchanting. Plus he was able to be mobile and walk to the other side of the stage to rub noses with Deano(who kept his giant red mohawk covered with an awesome black cap for most of the set) There really isn't anything I can say about Exene that would do her justice....she's one of my heroines, and she doesn't disappoint. We jumped and rocked and flailed around without missing a beat. I got out of the middle of the melee at one point to go to the bathroom, and then I wandered to the back and got some more cash and bought another beer, and a pack of smokes, and....the 7 Shot Screamers record. To go with my CD. Hee.
After the show was completely all over, Chris came and toasted me with his Budweiser and told me that they are going to make coming to my restaurant "an event." Will they bring Exene? Will they manage to get there before I have to meet with the cupcake lady? Only time will tell, friends.
And right now, time is telling me I still have another batch of cupcakes to bake. Thank god I'm still drunk. (ha!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home