Friday, March 24, 2006

RED VELVET CUPCAKES


First, creaming shortening and sugar. One of my favorite things in the WORLD
to do.
Then, adding two eggs. Whatever.
THEN, making a paste out of 2tlbs of cocoa and AN ENTIRE BOTTLE AND A HALF
OF RED FOOD COLORING. I balked. I brought my big brand new bottle of red
food coloring and my tiny set of easter egg colors with a mini bottle of red
food coloring. I looked at the recipe in horror only to find that it called
for 1.5 oz of red food coloring, which amounted to the entire big bottle
plus the entire little bottle plus another little bottle that I didn't have.
So my cupcakes were a tiny bit less RED than they should have been. Meh. Mix
that weird paste in.
THEN, alternating flour and buttermilk. THEN, you put vinegar into a bowl
and sprinkle baking soda on it, to make a volcano. Then you gently fold the
volcano into the batter. What kind of drugs were these southern ladies
doing?? So odd. I couldn't help trying to imagine who the first lady was that thought up the whole vinegar and baking soda thing. Obviously there is some important kitchen science going on, but I don't know what it is.
I am still slightly stained this morning after numerous hand washings. But the cupcake trimmings that I got to taste yesterday were SO GOOD. Even without the crowning glory of cream cheese icing, they were GOOD.
This morning I have to make another batch of cupcakes, which means I have to go to the grocery story for ingredients, which means I have to change out of my pajamas. Rot! I like being in my pajamas.
I got out of bed at 5am this morning. Apparently, at some point yesterday I set my clock ahead one hour so my 6am alarm went off at 5am. (this also means that when I thought I was going to bed last night at 10pm I was actually going to bed at 9. WTF??) I was drunk on the two beers I had with dinner. J and I could not go to see the beat poetry or the beat photos, so we just had a nice salmon-oriented dinner and mini gab session instead. It was really great, and I had plans to get home and do a whole lot of cleaning etc. Nope. I sent a few business emails and passed out drunk. Ha.
I have done quite a bit of cleaning and laundry since then, and most of the dishes. Accomplishing many things before most people are even awake makes me feel like a superstar.
Of course, the gazelle upstairs was awake right along with me. The gazelle never sleeps, she just endlessly gallops around her apartment. I am convinced of this.
Off to accomplish more things. I think it is going to be a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home