Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Today was a really good day.
Rebby and I woke up and made some (equal exchange) coffee and breakfast. Our breakfast was sunnysideup eggs from Champion Chicks, cooked in amish butter; hickory smoked bacon from Wil-den farms; and amish-made raisin toast. Not only was everything more delicious than I can really even begin to describe to you, it felt good to eat, knowing exactly where almost every component of the meal came from. I often struggle with my perceptions about food...does it really taste better, or do I just think it's better because I feel better about it? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter. I'm convinced.
So we got dressed and headed up to Polish Hill to do some work around the Benford-Shanley estate. Because, as some of you may know--they had a baby somewhat out of the blue on Tuesday! It wasn't a total shock--I mean, they knew they were having one and everything--but he came about three weeks early. So there were some things around the house that needed doing and I had a day off so I went to do some of them. Rebby tackled baby furniture assembly while I tackled kitchen duties. It was nice to do something useful for a friend. We found this item a little bizarre, but I love my papasan so who's to say that Donovan won't love his? The family should be coming home tomorrow--hopefully I can get over there to help put together his room and get them aclimated. If you want to see some pictures of a very tiny very new born baby, look at my flickr.
Another thing we did while we were over there was do some measurements for the garden. I really hadn't taken a good hard look at the back yard over there--it's kind of enormous! I had all sorts of wonderful visions while I was washing dishes. Earlier in the morning for some reason I had remembered the garden book I had when I put the garden in at 525 Melwood Culture and Horticulture by Wolf-Dieter Storl. Look it up---he's a trip. Anyway, I'm going to try to order a new copy of that book, and pick up the new one by the Organic Gardner folks from the radio. We're looking at seed catalogs, but I am fully prepared to get some seedlings from Garden Dreams And not just because the woman who runs it is smokin hot. :)
On my way home I stopped in the Big Idea to see if they had any gardening books--they didn't really, but I did get a cool new anarcho-punk vegan cookbook. One can never have too many of those. I continued on my way home and did my own dishes and swept the floor and got the trash and recycling ready to go out, and then I got inspired to recreate the annie's woodstock dressing I think I came pretty close, though mine is pinker and a little more tart. I didn't put any sesame seeds in, but I did add sesame oil. I used salad vinegar and olive oil, and of course---no xanthan gum. My tahini is a little old too which made the flavor stronger than it needs to be, but overall, I did a good job. It was the first task of my new food processor and it worked like a champ. To celebrate I made myself a dinner of roasted broccoli, carrots, and tofu over brown rice with this yummy as hell dressing on top.
See? I told you today was a good day.
As is typical, I have a big thing I really want to write about (the Farm to Table conference) but I just don't have the energy to do it right now. I definitely will though, because it was pretty life changing. If you thought I was somewhat annoying in my local food activism before....just wait. Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home