Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Movies, Movies, Movies.

I'm going a little movie crazy these days. There were all the movies I already wrote about this weekend, and then Sunday night we went to see Wild at Heart on the big screen. I gotta say, that is one of my all time favorite movies. I don't really consider myself a David Lynch fan, but I think that film is remarkable. I've seen it dozens of times, and it still manages to stir up all the same emotions in me as the first time. There aren't many movies that can retain that sort of power.

So yesterday after work I decided to rent some more movies and lay around on the couch. I was still feeling the aftereffects of the hormones and seriously, the weather is just getting me down. So I went to Blockbuster and got a delightful Danish film called Soap, about the strange relationship between a transsexual and the woman who moves in upstairs, and also Sherry Baby with Maggie Gyllenhaal as an ex drug addict trying to reunite with her daughter. Sherry Baby won all sorts of awards, and Maggie was great in it of course, but it didn't really do much for me. I loved the character of Dale but otherwise I was not too pulled in. Eh.
Today I rented some more films and so far I am doing much better. First up was A Home at the End of the World which just happens to star Colin Ferrell. I did not recognize him as Colin Ferrell during the course of the film which shows that he can be a good actor. It's a lovely little film about alternative family. I think the begining of the film is really amazing, and there are some other really amazing scenes, but the end kind of drags. I'm very glad I saw it though, and would recommend it highly. I just wish it was a tiny bit better.
The other film I watched tonight was The World According to Garp. I remember seeing this for the first time on TV when I was in high school, and I bawled out loud like a baby for about half an hour afterward. It's even better than I remembered, because I had managed to completely forget John Lithgow as a transsexual ex football player. It's brilliant. I loved The Hotel New Hampshire too--it seems like a lot of people really hate that one. I've never seen Cider House Rules--I'll have to look for that one next.
I still have Casa de los Babys and Prestige for tomorrow....and two Gregg Araki films coming in the nextflix. Hooray for a sudden burst of film!
Other than film, I've been busy trying to get my life back on track. I've got mountains of laundry stacked everywhere---but I am pretty sure the washing machine has been repaired. There is only one way to find out, and that I will do early tomorrow morning. I am going to wash mad clothes all day if it is!
I'm also going to start another bread, finish the dishes in the sink, and work on a menu for the March women's history theme brunch celebrating Irish Women. I've got some other paperworky things to do while Roxie is on the Rocket in the morning, and then I plan to get out there and get some shit done! I've had a package to mail for almost three weeks now and no chance to get to the post office. Tomorrow shall be the day!

1 Comments:

Blogger Gerry said...

Well this was pretty interesting to read...and seems like you really enjoyed yourself too...and hey since Women's Day is coming up pretty soon i'd like you to drop by my blog on Womens Day Greetings sometime and enjoy all that i've posted there!!!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home