Thursday, April 06, 2006

I DID IT!!!! I went to the gym! And let me just tell you, I loved every second of it. Well, except for the fact that the gym was sort of crowded with a lot of dudes pumping up and more than a few svelte college girls jogging on treadmills from the time we got there to the time we left. But, there were also a few normal people there so I didn't feel like a total freak. Also, I didn't love the fact that I couldn't figure out a good way to attach my tape player to my body so I had to listen to whatever station they were playing. However, I can't remember the music AT ALL so it was at least innocuous.
The full story...we got there and had to turn on our IDs for wristbands. Then we trudged into the changing area so Jennie could change (I had come already prepared in my working out outfit...just had to braid my hair) We got into the gym room and immediately found two treadmills side by side! So on I climbed, my first time on a treadmill. I got the hang of it pretty quickly, increasing my incline and my speed until I was FEELIN IT. I did a mile on the treadmill and pretty much kept my heartrate at 150 (when you grip the handlebars it can tell you your heartrate. Woah!) When I was done I almost fell flat on my ass! It was quite disorienting. From there I moved on to the ab machine, which is a very oddly constructed torture device. You sit on a seat and the padded weight bar catches you right across the shoulders. You put your hands on you thighs and lock your feet behind the bar and then you push forward with your upper body. "This is great!" I thought after the first two reps. "This is agony" I thought during the last 10. Seriously, I felt the burn. But it was nice to know that there are actually muscles in there somewhere...they just need a little coaxing. Jennie made the hopeful observation that soon most of the kids would be studying for finals and going on summerbreak and the number of other people we will have to look at will go down significantly. Really, no one was looking at each other. Everyone was doing their own thing. But still.
I did a whole bunch of arm things, but never found the twisty machine I was looking forward to. I don't think they have one. I didn't get over to the last wall (the LEG wall!) and there were a few other things I didn't explore, so maybe they have something that does the same thing as the twisty without twisting? I was looking foward to the twist, though. Guess I'll just have to do my own.
After the gym I had a lovely little dinner and watched FREDDIE, the new show I had not heard about where the adorable Freddie Prinze Jr is a chef. He also seems to live in a big house full of people, or maybe all the people just hang out in his house or something like Friends. I dunno. In this episode his best friend had opened a restaurant with no restaurant experience and it all went tragically, comically awry. It was a cute show, but I would have liked to see Freddie in his restaurant. Maybe next week, if I remember to watch it.

1 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

Congratulations!! Sometimes when I am at my sister's I run on her treadmill and it still freaks me out! It's so different than actually running, on the ground. But yeah, whenever I get off, it feels like I am going to hit the ground.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home