Sunday, March 12, 2006

Seriously, the last thing I need is one more guitar player to have a crush on, right?
Especially a local punk rock boy, right? But there I was, crushing HARD on this boy who was hanging out at the QS before the Short Dark Strangers/Lucid Music/Manly P Holla show. He had the cutest outfit on...these incredible little red leather lace up boots, cut off chef pants, what appeared to be a wifebeater that just revealed a glimpse of tattoo on his chest(looked like one of those spanish hearts wrapped in barbed wire things, but I didn't get close enough to be sure) and a hoodie that he kept pulled up over his head all night long. I was watching him make his way around the place, smiling very warmly and just seeming to have a good time. I fetched him a PBR and the ball for the foozeball table. Oh...I didn't mention that he had a blue stuffed bunny hanging out of his pocket by the ears, did I? Well he did. He came back at one point and I held out my hand expecting him to return the foozeball and he handed me the bunny. I gave it right back to him because, well, I was flustered. He was too cute for words. So I got him another beer instead and then found out that he was the guitar player. WOW. Somehow I had completely missed or ignored him when we saw Short Dark Stranger over at the Smiling Moose a couple of months ago...there was just too much going on in there I guess, and Bobby and Dana and Ricky were so interesting and closer to me that I didn't even really look to that side of the stage.
Friday night, though, I got myself a prime spot to watch him play and let me just say that he blew my mind. His playing was very controlled, yet his sound was absolutely incredible. I was trying to get a good look at what kind of guitar he had and his amp, which was I think something like behringer? I have no idea. Never could tell what the guitar was, but it sounded fantastic. It was a rock assault of the best kind. The rest of the band was also completely mind blowing, but I was totally focused on this guitar whiz in the hoodie. I got myself so worked up that I couldn't even go and talk to him after the show. Gah. Turns out he was in Submachine too, so I've seen him lots of times before and just never paid attention. That's what happens when your lead singer is compelling.
So now I have a new crush for the springtime. Heeheehee.
Saturday was a very chill day....I made dutch babies and hung around and then got some stuff from Melwood to move to the new place. Including the cat and the bed. I spent some time hanging with Roxanne in Becky's sultry red and black bedroom and did a bunch of data entry stuff...trying to catch up on the slip tallies from the restaurant. The busier we get the more I fall behind, as you might expect. But I have this big bunch of TCB energy right now so I am thinking I'll be able to catch up soon. We took a nap and then went to the almost deserted Shop and Save to get pierogies for dinner. By the time dinner was done neither of us could muster the energy to go out for rock, so I did some computering and Becky fell asleep on the couch. The moving had taken a lot out of us, even though we didn't do all that much.
Today I am making a lot of headway into cleaning out this storage area of a bedroom. I have pretty much decided to stay here another year, so it seems like time to actually make the place somewhat livable. Going through boxes and boxes of random crap, trying to get rid of some and put the rest in some sort of order. I stumbled upon some old journals and old photographs and old clippings so that took up a lot of time. It's very inspiring to read through all this old stuff and see what a crazy thriving art scene we had going back in the Rickety heyday. Alot of us are still around, still doing great stuff, but there was something pretty special about the energy and creativity of those days.
Better get some dinner and get back to the project. Here's to a good week ahead!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home