Monday, March 20, 2006

This weekend was super intense. This is how weekends should be, I think. I mean, really I feel very fulfilled when I get a lot of stuff DONE on the weekends, but it's also nice to have a weekend once in a while that is all about socializing and having a good time and eating a lot of barbecued and fried foods.
Friday I busted butt in the kitchen, with lots of breakfast business and the creation of a glorious batch of drrrrrty rice. Apparently the vegan scalloped corn with jalapeno and cilantro I made was hella good too, but I never even tasted it. I just went on faith. Nice when that works out.
I don't even remember getting home or what I did....sort of a blur. I think I took a nap, and then headed downtown to the art opening at Three Rivers Gallery. I looked at all the art and it was great (shout out to Jenny Lee!!!) and then I settled down to experience the Michael Johnsen performance. I don't really get "noise", as most people already know, but I closed my eyes and just let it wash over me. Until he put a contact mic on a piece of styrofoam and started to play it with a violin bow....then I had to hightail it out of there and smoke in the freezing cold. Ended up seeing Matt and Jenny pull up, and it was a pleasure as always to talk to them. Spoke to Matt a little more upstairs, and then headed to Young Bin Kwan with Becky, Steve, and Adam, for a delicious, surreal late night dinner.
Saturday morning there was fundraising bullsh*t on the PBS so Becky cooked breakfast and we got a jump on the day. Got some steaks and chicken and ski queen cheese and wholewheat biscuits and strawberry pretzel jello salad ingredients and threw on Queen and threw open the windows and threw back a couple of glasses of lambrusco and had a great time getting ready for the Human Brains Barbecue. After Queen we rocked KISS and Tori Amos. It was great. We finished everything up (note: this, my third attempt at the SPJS, was definitely the best. I have used a different recipe from the internet each time, and this time I made some modifications to the one I chose and it is definitely on it's way to perfection. Still got a ways to go, though)
We drove over to the new house to get some beer and check on the kizzle, and Mike was painting trim in the kitchen. The purple room looks awesome. Things are really coming along.
Arrived at castle McPherson to a giant pile of smoked ribs on the barbie and Baltzer whistling around doing last minute cleaning. Chatted with people, smoked some cigs, had a tour of the garden. It was really too cold to hang outside much, but we did anyway. Becky got our particular meats going and the grill was so hot they were done in a jiffy. OLD COLONY SAUCE is the bombdiggity, let me just tell you. One of the greatest gifts my father has given me, after my Scottish heritage, love for the Beatles and old country music. Got to watch lots of people enjoying ski queen cheese, some for the first time, some were acquainted and happy to see it. More people arrived and conversations got sillier. There was a great moment of IceT appreciation that just warmed my heart. Also, braunsweiger. Who knew? I got to read the synopsis to Murder Party! Looks like it will be awesome. And gruesome.
The music started. I didn't go and look at the first two performers(but were told they were fantastic in their own ways) but I did venture down for Styles For Modern Living. Hooray! "Bell Hooks" is my favorite song. They sound great with the full band, but the second keyboard was a little too front in the mix for my taste. It might have been because I was standing right in front of the speaker, though. They did a great cover of "Star Of Evolution" and everyone made a point of getting my approval, which I granted easily. Being "covered" rocks!
Then, the main event....The Human Brains!!!!!!!!!! Wow. Just, wow. Sure, there were a few sloppy minutes, but their set SMOKED and RULED. Big time. It is one of life's great pleasures to see the Milhalcin brothers in action. Of course, Benji did not disappoint, except for the fact that his hair never quite fell in his face. But he roared and yelped and the bass was shaking the walls. Logan held it down with my favorite Bolan shuffle, completely effortless. The crowd went wild. The lights flickered on and off. People spun around the poll till they were a blur. "What Have I Become?" incited a near riot. It was glorious.
After it was done, there was a short FoP set. You can't really follow the Human Brains on their once yearly outing, but it is always great to hear "Catapult." Always.
We made it home alive before 11pm. Yeehaw for early afternoon parties! I tried to sleep in, but I woke up before 8am anyway. Sitting at the computer planning my day, I got a panicked phonecall from the second shift brunch cook....the first shift brunch cook never showed up. Argh. SO, it was throw on some clothes and hightail it down to the place. Spent a little over and hour throwing together brunch at lightening speed. It was controlled chaos, but we DID IT. Then the management bitches climbed in the car and headed down to the Restaurant Expo to sample lots and lots and LOTS of fried foods and free alcohol. Seriously, the number and variety of fried things was staggering. Also got to sample a lot of roasted meats, (our badges did not reveal our "vegetarian restaurant" status) and actually pick up a few pieces of useful information. Basically, the Restaurant Expo is a feeding frenzy. Pure and simple. I wish that I had had the presence of mind to watch some of the culinary demonstrations, but the strange morning sort of set me on edge and I just wandered around looking at things and snacking on things. As we left, we decided to try to get to the Natural Foods Expo next time...might be a little more useful.
Got home and took a long nap, then went out to the new even more improved grocery store for hamburger and cigarettes. I am not entirely pleased with the way they have the produce set up right now....it's sort of difficult to tell what is organic and what isn't because it's all lumped together and not very clearly marked. Maybe they'll fix it. Anyway, it LOOKS good, and will probably be getting better as time goes on. I'm excited to start eating some more fresh vegetables on a daily basis. Oh yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home