Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Wow! This nin/bauhaus tour is certainly generating a lot of controversy! I'm all over the map with it.....sure, it's somewhat "inappropriate" for the fathers to "support" the son. However, I'm absolutely mindboggled at the number of nin fans posting on the messageboard that they have never heard of this bauhaus band....that, in my mind, is crminal. And that, in my mind, is exactly why this is a fantastic move.
Trent hand picks his opening acts, making good use of his "power and influence" to expose the teeming masses to something he feels is important. Witness Saul Williams...there is no doubt in my mind that MOST of the people attending nin shows would never in a million years pay attention to this guy if Trent didn't force it on them. Sure, there have been plenty of people reacting with indifference, outright outrage, and downright racism. But, there have also been a lot of people who listened with an open mind and even went and got his CD at the merch table after his set.(my gf among them)
The thought of all those kids(some of whom aren't really kids, and should really know better) seeing bauhaus and being blown away by the power and artistry of their music fills me with joy.
It reminds me a whole lot of a conversation I had many years ago with a young nin fan in Albuquerque. He was going on and on and on about how Trent is GOD or some such, and I let drop casually that he dated my boyfriend's sister when I was in highschool. I let drop casually that I had a conversation with Trent in the laundryroom of their mother's house about how great Adam Ant was. (she had a poster of Adam over the washing machine) This kid would not believe that Trent would listen to that kind of music, and refused to believe me. Then "Broken" came out, with it's "hidden" cover of Adam's "Physical." Next thing ya know, this kid is sheepishly asking me to borrow my Adam Ant records. Ha.
The moral of the story is, like it or not, Trent Reznor has a lot of cultural clout to a whole generation of music fans. I'm not even convinced that HE likes it all that much, but it impresses me that he uses it to full advantage.
Much as I love to be a part of an elite group who are in the know about bauhaus, I would be so very happy if they manage to make a brilliant new album and finally get some of the recognition they deserve. And I applaud Trent for doing what he can to make it happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home