Monday, May 04, 2009

Quick Update on a Wonderful Weekend

Sorry I haven't been around much lately....I have been trying to keep the computering to a minimum and concentrate on the OUTSIDE.
This weekend was the first and last two days off in a row with rebby for quite some time, and we wanted to make the most of it.
Saturday she went turkey hunting (unsuccessful :() in the morning, and I got up and went to the East Liberty Cooperative Market for "eggs." I put eggs in quotes because I came back with a pound of breakfast link sausage, mesclun, baby spinach, a garlic, and 9 herb plants. Oh, and eggs. Oh! And also some really good tabouli made with quinoa and flatbread, which I had for my breakfast. The fellow who sold me the tabouli and flatbread looked like a just out of college duder, and I wanted to support his start up. The tabouli was pretty good...I think mine is better, but I definitely pride myself on tabouli, and the flatbread was REALLY good. He had sprinkled some Mediterranean spice on there (sumac, maybe?) and it was addictive.
So I sat at the back table drinking coffee and eating my tabouli breakfast and planning my herb garden.
I got lemon thyme, which went in next to the English thyme, and pineapple sage which went in next to the regular sage, and tarragon and marjoram which went in next to the oregano. I also got a cinnamon basil plant which I put in the new kitchen herb garden next to the back door (the spot that used to be dark all the time, but since the tree exorcism gets plenty of sun!) and also put four exotic mints back there: orange mint, candy mint, chocolate mint and apple mint. It's getting exciting back there!
The sun was shining down on me and I was ready for labor, so I grabbed the cultivator and started ripping out weeds along the back fence for a wildflower bed. In the process I stumbled across a small patch of bunching onions that the previous Italians must have left. I dug them up carefully and transplanted them over in the garden...hope it works! After a lot of weeding and scraping I wound up with a nice spot for echinaceas, columbines, poppies, daisies and blackeyed susans. I hope some of them come up at least! There's about another two feet to weed for my butterfly and hummingbird wildflower mix, but I ran out of steam for that kind of heavy labor. Maybe tomorrow.
So next up was the vegetable transplanting---I put in my third of four kobucha squash plant, six brussels sprouts, and I thinned and moved my cabbage starts. Huzzah! Oh, I also transplanted my herb starts too--sweet and thai basil, dill, cilantro and parsley. I think that was all I did on Saturday morning outside. While all that was going on I baked some bread too. I think I've mentioned the 5 Minutes a Day thing before---perhaps the best part about it for our household is that I am baking tiny little loaves that we actually can finish off in a day or two. There is nothing quite so demoralizing as having to pitch the end of a beautiful loaf of homemade bread because it went moldy. With these little loaves there isn't any waste, and now that summer is here if there are unused bread ends they will become delightful crutons. Because we are gonna be eating MAD SALAD around here, I can tell you that.
Wow, there's lots more weekend to tell but I have to go to work. I will really try to finish later today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home