Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh what a beautiful world!
It's 10pm on Monday night, and I'm listening back through some podcasts of Gavin Newsom's radio show. Right now I'm listening to the episode where he talks to the Executive Director of the National Center for Lesbian Rights about the gay marriage ruling. Previously I listened to his interview with with Michael Pollan (awesome!) and Rachel Maddow (sexy!) I am all aflutter in love with this mayor, despite the fact that he has done some silly stuff. In general, he seems to really have his heart in the right place and follows through with actions, despite the possibility that they are political suicide. Bless him.
I've also been listening to Stephen Fry podcasts which are just all lovely language. It's a good time to have a computer. I've recently become a fan of podcasts and am actively searching for other good ones. Please clue me in to your favorites!
This evening I made a super good pizza---fresh mozz with basil, tomato, red onion, sweet peppers, mushrooms. I totally forgot to put garlic in, but it was still good.
Somehow the crust was even crisper than last time--yummy! And Wednesday is my day off, so it will be time to refill the freezer with pizza crusts. I feel like a whole new person now that I've adopted the pizza dough in the freezer lifestyle. I was able to put dinner together in like 20 minutes. Yum.
I also really, really wanted beer even though rebby has given it up for Jesus, so we stopped and I took a thousand hours to decide on a Great Lakes variety sampler. I came very close to just getting a case of Sierra Nevada but in the last minute I realized that I like variety. Of course, I ended up sucking down a Burning River (pale ale) and it was exactly what I wanted. Delicious.
After pizza and beer we watched two episodes of How I Met Your Mother--one new, and one old one that was funny enough for me to want to watch again, and then I went through my box of seeds that came today from Territorial. I organized them into seeds that need to be started indoors, seeds that can thrive in partial shade, and seeds that go right into the garden in direct sun. Rebby is going to get a bunch of organic dirt this weekend and then we can dig in--literally! I'm really excited to grow a bountiful delicious garden. We're talking about doing some really serious tree removal that will make more of the yard useful for gardening...even if we don't get to that, we've got the bed we did last year and a new raised bed frame rebby built last weekend. So the garden will be at least twice as big as last year.
On a whim I bought some asparagus seeds at Lotus last week. I have no idea if that will really work but it's worth a try, right? I've just got to find a good spot where they can be left alone for a year. I also want to get some horseradish roots to grow somewhere too, so I don't have to do the dance of guilt with the guy from Goose Creek Gardens again this year. And garlic! I can't forget the garlic. I didn't manage to save any from Blackberry Meadows like I planned so I'll have to wait till they show up at the farmer's market again. It won't be long now!
Speaking of farmer's markets, on Saturday we went to pick up some sweet delicious meats. We got some ground lamb, some ground beef and stew meat, and pork chops and bacon. It was really wonderful to see our pig farmer again, and he was excited to tell us about the new litter he has and was even going to show us a picture on his cell phone but then the line got too overwhelming. I always feel bad for him because he really would like to just have a real conversation with everyone, I think, but his pork is just so damn popular that he has to turn it into a business transaction.
I guess that's a good problem to have. We had amazing bacon and then pork chops for dinner on the grill, and then the next night rebby made me some bacon cheeseburgers and it was warm enough to sit outside.
So yeah, I'm kinda loving life right now. I'm not going to write about any downer things. I'm really looking forward to my day off to do some spring cleaning and mail some packages! And hopefully write some more too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home