Saturday, May 09, 2009

Jeez Louise, I'm a sucky blogger these days. Didn't even manage to finish writing about my awesome weekend and here it is the next weekend already!
I've been BUSY. You know, the usual. This week was extra busy because I had Cinco de Mayo dinner on Tuesday and we've got our first wedding of the season today. So this week has been a lot of long days at the restaurant, and when I get home from the restaurant I'm all about laying around on the couch watching TV. So there you have it.
Anyhow, a quick finish about last weekend: after all the good times in the morning, rebby got back from hunting and we decided to do some thrifting and then go to the dreaded South Side Works for Wolverine. The thrifting was very low-key good--we got a couple fancy bottles with stoppers for dandelion wine, and Kizmet, and a rotating spice rack, and some great cookbooks, and a couple new linen dresses and some fake chuck high tops(for me), and a new desk chair(rebby). I think that's it. So after all the thrifting we headed to the dreaded South Side Works and decided to check out the new Hofbrau Haus. Which was OK. Really more of a fantasy German experience for mall goers than anything authentic. The beer was OK, the food was OK....the main characteristic of the place seems to be lots and lots and lots of loud drunk people in one room. We opted to sit out on the patio, which was significantly less crowded with loud drunk people, and kind of plesant. They actually employ security guards to make sure drunk people don't do anything stupid out in the beer garden, to give you some idea of the character of the place. Like I said, it was OK, but definitely not something I will have to experience again. It's Max's Allegheny for me all the way (at least until I finally get to the Kleiner Deutschmann)
We had about an hour to kill till the movie so we got our tickets and then wandered through Sur le Table (soooooo pricey!), sat around the fountain listening to white people play innocuous jazz, and then to Caribou Coffee for a pick me up. Where I was convinced the gothlet cashier was trying to put a spell on me, especially when she said I had to give her my name in order to get an iced coffee. Huh? Anyway, I survived.
The movie was very good. It was thrilling, but mostly it was a tender romance and personal history kind of thing which went to great lengths to show a)why Logan is so full of rage all the time and b)what an incredible body Hugh Jackman has. Seriously, I didn't noticed if the DP was male or female, but he or she was obviously popping huge boners (literal or figurative) the whole time. I was introduced to the mutant Gambit for the first time and he became my new favorite (though I'm sure if I were to rewatch X-Men II right now Magneto would go back to being #1. He's just that awesome) After the movie, we came home and crashed.
Exhausted.
Sitting here right now I cannot remember Sunday for the life of me. Rest assured it was a great day as well. I seem to remember planting my morning glories and moonflowers, and rebby mowed. That's all I'm getting right now.
The rest of the week was busy! Cinco de Mayo dinner turned out to be a great success--24 people came and folks loved it. I'm really excited to do special dinners every month.
Then there's been wedding prep, regular kitchen stuff, and yesterday morning I arrived at work to the unmistakable hissing of water shooting out of the back of a broken toilet. It felt a little Candid Camera-esque, especially the part where I was feeling around underneath the tank where the water was shooting out and suddenly it appeared that the toilet was BLEEDING and I was all "OMG the toilet is possessed by Satan!" but really I had cut open my finger on the broken piece. Ha. I managed to get the water to stop shooting out by wedging a ruler under the plunger arm so the toilet couldn't fill. I was pretty proud of my McGyvering under pressure and extremely relieved to be able to go back to making breakfasts without having to stop and mop every 10 minutes. The day got much better, believe me, and ended with Jamaican food from the ladies across the street, two big glasses of 9% Trippelicious, two episodes of South Park on tape, and a very early bed. Hoorah!
Now I gotta go cut the cheese (ha!) and find my catering pants and get showered and on the go.
I'll try to be better, she said resignedly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home