Sunday, April 20, 2008

Weekend Update

Hideeho! Another really lovely week in da burgh has come and gone. The weather this week was outstanding and really made everything feel possible again. Even menstrual woes didn't keep me down! (though they did keep me home both nights this weekend eating ice cream instead of doing activities. oh well.) It was one of those weekends where I kinda had plans every night and didn't end up doing any of them. I actually am totally fine with those weekends, especially since they usually alternate with weekends where I am busy all the time.
So, this week--lots of nice weather, accomplished a ton of laundry, rebby dug up the back garden patches (it was too rainy to work on the big raised beds this weekend, but we'll get to em next weekend for sure!) I changed the comforter over to the new springy stripey cover, ate some really good meals off the grill (including some delicious wild salmon--I'm suddenly becoming obsessed with eating the oily fishes. It seems to be every where I look and I have just decided to embrace it) made a whole lotta food at the QS, and finally, finally, returned my netflix from three months ago. Which means we got to watch Dog Day Afternoon last night, and I get to invite some awesome women over to watch The Business Of Being Born this week. Wee! I'm excited. This is going to be one biz-ee week though---Monday night I have a movie date with Jilly to see Forgetting Sarah Marshall(I might as well come clean and admit that I am interested in this movie at least 85% because of Russell Brand, tho Jason Siegel is one of my favorite TV nerds), Tuesday night is VOTING!!!!! and then band practice, Wednesday might be the night to have the ladies over, Thursday night Anita Fix is on the radio, Friday night is a rescheduled engagement party, Saturday night (so far...) is free, and Sunday is a potluck with the Slow Food people. Whew! This week is gonna fly. Next week is gonna be jam packed as well! And then it's May already. Boy howdy.
Oh! I wanted to say a little something about going to the Carnegie on my day off this week. Now, I know that a)they are setting up for the international and b)dinosaurs are the big money in natural history. HOWEVER, it really blows that none of the Magrittes were on display, and it super blows that the dinosaur kingdom has taken up so much time and space and resources that the bird exhibit has totally gone to hell. The birds are all crammed into dusty old cases in a long and dimly lit hallway, and many of the birds are not even displayed--just laying flat on their stuffed little backs. I felt like I was in the Parrot Sketch, walking down this long hallway, laughing out loud to myself. It was incredibly surreal. The good news is that Alcoa gave the museum a bunch of money to fix the formerly racist native american exhibit, and now it is really positive and uplifting. There's even a mini observatory in the center with different tribes' stories about the stars. Nice. Check it out if you get the chance.
After exiting the museum I finally stopped in to the creperie for a butter and sugar crepe and a cafe au lait. I felt tres continental. Craig street and Ellsworth Ave are two parts of the city where I really feel like I'm actually somewhere else---a small coastal town in New England, maybe. It's nice to see eclectic businesses thriving in Pittsburgh!
So yeah, voting. I need to do some research to figure out what I am voting for besides Democratic presidential nominee. My choice has been made for a while, though of course "trusting" a politician, no matter how trustworthy, always leaves me feeling let down. Let's hope it doesn't happen this time. I'm really excited because my polling place is the Kingsley Center and I can't wait to see what goes on in there! It's mysterious. I'll report back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home