Sunday, April 13, 2008

Another week comes to a close.
I'm a little worn out from getting all sorts of pummeled at brunch today! It wasn't insanely busy, really, but it was kinda non stop and I wasn't totally ready for it. By the time it was over I was a sore puppy! But the good news is, I sold just about everything. All the vegan lemon "buttermilk" pancakes (2 batches!) with mixed berry syrup. All the broccoli, fakin bacon and cheddar fritatta (2 of those too!)which was perhaps the prettiest fritatta I've ever made. Certainly in the top 3. All the migas. Almost all 12 cups (dry) of black beans. Most of the Moroccan Chickpea Stew, though I made a ton of that hoping to carry it over into a dinner special. It survived, but the couscous that went along did not. Boy howdy, people were on a mission to eat today! I and got to say hi to a few friends and officially meet
a couple
of people I'd only officially met on the internets before. It's nice when that happens.
After getting home and changing clothes rebby and I headed to the co-op. We were fortunately prepared today for the fact that it was member discount day--normally we accidentally go to the co-op on member day and it stresses me out. Today I was prepared and so not nearly as stressed as usual, though I swear to heavens they need like 5 more volunteers to keep on top of the bulk section on member day. That place gets MESSY! We got out with only minor scrapes, and thanks to the magic of member day, coupons, and stuff I wanted being on sale, I managed to spend less than $80. I almost always seem to spend $80 at the co-op, no matter what I go there for. Hmm. We got home and I made tacos with the ground pork rebby had been thawing. I splurged on bearitos blue corn tortilla shells and man oh man were they awesome! It was the best taco night in a long time.
So let's backtrack a bit to yesterday, yeah? We packed so much good stuff into yesterday it's going to be hard to remember it all. Firstly, we got up and out to the East Liberty Farmer's Market by 8am. Got two dozen eggs, an onion, and a cabbage. Oh, and bottle of Mrs Jones' Special Sauce, only because her husband is such a good salesman. After I had bought it I read the label only to learn that Mrs Jones' secret ingredient is ketchup with high fructose corn syrup. Oh well. We went to Home Depot for ant traps, because it's that time of year again, and the walked back home and made breakfast. Dippy eggs, bacon and toast and coffee. Watched a little political fireworks, and then we got busy making stuff: rebby dug up the rest of the garden plot next to the house while I chopped my cabbage for saurkraut. I also sliced off a little portion of my fingernail in the process. It's not that bad, really, but it stings a bunch when I get water in it so I am off dish duty for a while. (oh no! ;) Anyway, I set up my saurkraut to working, and put together a sponge for bread. Then we put all the various bottles and jars we had around in the dishwasher to sterilize them. Then rebby decanted our first batch of kombucha into some bottles--hooray! We put sliced ginger in the bottles and it's already turning the kombucha into a very tasty treat. I think we'll let the next batch sit longer though--this was a 10 day batch, and while it's good, it's not very fizzy. And it smells distinctly of easter eggs. Not in a bad way--just very definitely easter egg dye smell. Hmm. While that was going on, I zested some lemons and put up another batch of organic limoncello. That takes 80 days, so we probably won't see it till we're back from Sweden. But it's started. I used the rest of the lemons to make some honey ginger lemonade. I tell you what, it's hippie central around here! I like it.
So somewhere in all that excitement I tried to print something out from my computer (I think it was the limoncello directions) only to find that my printer was SMOKING. It finally gave up the ghost after 6 years of hard work and devotion. It's been struggling for a while now, but this was it. So a stop at Staples became necesary. First we went to Construction Junction, where we recycled, dropped the old dead printer, and got an adorable little desk for the kitchen for $15. (well, it was actually $9 by the time we applied our discounts) Then we stopped at East End for beer. They still had Dubbel trubbel, as well as two newer ones: Monkey Boy (a heffeweisen with banana and clove essences) and Wheat Hop. Rebby loved the Wheat hop--it kinda scared me. Rich the beertender described it as like being in a room with two stereos---one playing Pachabel's Canon on 3 and one playing Alice Cooper on 10. Is it any wonder I love that man? We sampled and hung out and got mildly buzzed, then we went to Staples.
Where I got this sexy beast---Lexmark x4550. It's a Wifi printer so rebby or I can print remotely from anywhere in the house! Also, it has a flat copy/scan surface which I have been wanting. Also, it TALKS. And it talks in the voice of Ol' Drippy. I am not kidding. It's pretty awesome. I mean, it's one of those deals where you have learned to accept the limitations of your 6 year old printer and then you get a RACECAR!!! It's like that.
For some reason after all that noise I decided to cook an Indian Feast for dinner. We had Tikka Chicken, green split pea dahl with carrots and potatoes, chard and kale with paneer, and papadums with tomato chutney. I felt a little bad about making all those dishes for rebby again but she was into it. And our leftover arsenal is built up once again!
I feel like I should backtrack some more over the past week but I'm drawing a blank. Except--we bought our plane tickets! It's really happening! I'm so excited I can barely stand it. We're flying into Hamburg where my friend Caroline will pick us up and install us in her house, and from there we can take little day trips to check out points of in Northern Germany. I think I'll do a little del.icio.us list of things we hope to see. We'll probably spend 4 or 5 days in Germany, then head up to Stockholm where I can hopefully see my rockstar buddy Ryan Roxie. He's in 18 or 19 bands right now so there's at least some chance one of them will be playing! Then we'll head south to Kelmar for rebby's friend's wedding on the 31st, then back to Hamburg to return to the US. Provided we don't get, you know, lost..... hee hee.
Ok! I've got to go watch Blank Generation now. I'll talk to ya later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home