Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hey there!
Remember me?
I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. Sorry I've been out of touch.
It's been kinda a whirlwind week and a half and also, I just haven't worked out a good schedule yet to get my internet time in. That's something I plan to work on in April.
So, quickly, what I've been up to if you're interested:
1)Anita Fix and bambam video premier: we star in a video our friend Michelle made for her thesis art project at CMU. The longform is called "stomach trouble" and you can see a little of our bit here. The filming process was really fun and I wish we could make music videos all the time. The premier was at a group art show and I don't know how much experience you have with group art shows at CMU but--the whole thing was a bit precious. We got to sit on a long bench and watch ourselves projected larger than life on a wall which was good fun. The rest of the stuff was variously impenetrable and annoying. Sigh.
2)First wedding of the season: Saturday the 22nd we had our first wedding of the season out in Leechburg. Everything was ubersmooth from our point of view, and I even got to do a little crisis management when the cupcake delivery was determined to be an hour late. It all worked out in the end and there are humor stories galore like there always are from weddings, and also, the bride was smokin hot in a scarlett o'hara gone goth red satin dress. Ooh la la.
3)Easter: after a post wedding sleep in, I got up and made my best bread yet (I have settled pretty much exclusively on a honey whole wheat recipe for the time being. This easter batch I used Frankferd farms flour instead of King Arthur and I liked it even better. A bit grainy-er. Yum) and also a pineapple upside down cake. Then went to work to have a meeting with a future wedding couple and do some prep for Monday since we closed early. After prep I brought home Leslie and Amy for a delicious Easter feast of ham, roasted glazed sweet potatoes, hominy casserole, barbecue baked limas, homemade bread and pineapple upside down cake. We had beers and watched Jesus Christ Superstar, which neither of our guests had ever seen. It was really nice.
4)IKEA/Bahama Breeze: Wednesday Jilly and I took a trip out to Ikea to get some stuff for the Quizzle and also so I could drop a little catering cash. It is increasingly hard for me to drop cash randomly but I managed to find a few things I felt were justifiable purchases. I got a couple nice area rugs, a mezzaluna, and a really beautiful new springtime comforter cover. We also stopped at TJ Max and I got some organic cotton sheets, white almond shampoo and citrus body wash. It was that kind of trip. We were mainly headed out to commerce avenue to go to Bahama Breeze, where Jilly had never been. The mojitos were amazing, the Jamaican meat patties were amazing, the jerk shrimp was the love of my life as always, and my salmon tostada salad was unusual but delicious. I heart that place so much! Plus, I had gotten an email coupon for $10 off two entrees, and when I redeemed it I got ANOTHER one. Whoo!
5)Party!: Last night we played at a party for the aforementioned Michelle in Polish HIll. I can't remember the last time I played at a house party but there is no better stage upon which to freak out in the way we would like to make a habit of freaking out. We played every song we know, some we don't know so well, and caused a whole lot of racket. Someone apparently called me "iconic". Wow. There was some social akwardness on my part because I wasn't feeling all that chatty, but we got through. And then we got home and slept hard.
6)Conference: this weekend was the Farm to Table conference at the convention center. There wasn't much there for me, honestly, and if Sandor Katz hadn't been the keynote speaker I don't know that I would have bothered. His keynote speech was really wonderful, about underground food movements, and I picked up his Wild Fermentations book. Today we went back for his workshop on fermentation, and as we were headed there we were discussing his talk and I realized that it had made even more of an impression on me than I realized. Good stuff. The fermentation workshop was eyeopening in a major way--basically just took away any lingering fear and damage I have from taking "Food safety" class. Seriously, I didn't realize how damaged I was from learing the ropes of the food sanitation industry. Ugh. Anyway, we got some nice raw milk cheese, and organic eggs, and some lettuces and baby red russian kale, and I picked up some literature and renewed my subscription to Table, and we were out.
7)Namaste: We headed directly to the south hills because Sandor mentioned Dosas like 4 times and I got hungrier every time he said it. We arrived in the midst of some kind of birthday or something, and there was a massive line for the buffet. There also was a distinct lack of dosas, but everything there was so good it didn't matter. I ate way more gulab jamuns than usual, but I think it was the slight hangover talking. After eating we stopped in to the store next door where I stocked up on some stuff including a dosa mix. Until I have the time to make my own (which I plan to do using Sandor's book!) I am gonna try the mix. We'll see.
8)McGuinnis Dad's: good times. We mostly went to get some Amish chicken but of course I can't go there without filling a basket. Including some Hagen Daz "baileys" ice cream in honor of Old Greg. Hee.
That brings us to tonight---we're headed to Kelly's for a LUPEC shindig and then to Pegasus for my friend Spat's guest DJ night at Ceremony. We're having it laaaarge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home