Sunday, April 06, 2008

Alrighty then...it's been a week! Hard to believe for me anyway.
Work was all stressful this week---I think it's growing pains, for the most part. We're getting busier all the time which means everyone has to step up their game and learn to work more efficiently. Some folks are lagging behind, and I feel like I have to be the mother hen shooing them along. Sigh. Yesterday was a great day though---it was medium busy and I was on the manager shift which means I was able to basically float around and help out where needed instead of being immediately responsible for any one thing. I made a soup and some tofu tenders and loved doing prep in the back room with classic rock on the radio and the windows open. The Saturday crew is great, and working with them is a pleasure.
Other than work, it was a pretty lazy week around here. We did have our first grill out of the season last night though---rebby grilled what I think may have been the last of our pork chops! I can't believe we've gone through them all already (though we did share with the benford shanleys) They turned out so nice! We had salad with the last of the locally grown greens I got at the farm to table conference, and some roasted fingerling potatoes I got at whole foods. Rosemary, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Classic. So yummy!
Rebby also went and got a kombucha mother from our friends Tony and Ilona, and we currently have a big crock working on the counter. I sniffed it this morning and it smells like kombucha already! I want it to be plenty acidic and bubbly so we're gonna leave it a few more days. I'm getting pretty antsy to get some kimchi started! Hopefully I can make it to the east liberty market next saturday morning to pick up some cabbage. I also want to try to get a sourdough starter started, but I fear the commitment. I'm pretty happy with my yeasty whole wheat and honey bread, but I do dream of making crusty sourdoughs. It all comes down to developing some routines in our lives, I think. I've been having trouble with that since we moved in to the house, but I think spring will bring some more organization. Fingers crossed!
We also broke open the limoncello this week! Woo! It's a little less bright yellow than commercial varieties---I think because of the unrefined sugar we used. It's all organic though, and totally delicious! I can't wait to start another batch. If you come around to my house at all please remind me to give you a sample.
We've got some movement on the garden front too---we went and bought wood to build our raised beds last weekend, and rebby has a call in to her friend who knows where we can get some good dirt. So that's gonna happen soon! Last night at the dirty phases show I think I secured some help from my friend Jeffy who needs a new hobby now that his band has dissolved. We definitely want to make our garden as much as a community effort as possible---the more the merrier! We've got lots of good stuff planned, and imagining having big dinner parties with veggies grown right out the door fills me with incredible joy. It's gonna be a great summer!
So yeah, last night was the Dirty Phases show, which started out as a night where all the past members of the various incarnations of the Dirty Faces were supposed to show up to play. Turns out that at least 4 of them, including pivotal founding member Ernie, couldn't make it, so it turned into a kind of shambolic and disorganized run through. It was still great to hear some of those old songs and to rock out on the dance floor like the olden times. I took a few shitty phone cam pictures to send to Juli so she could feel like she was there. It just wasn't the same without her, that's for sure. T Glitter and Tricky held it down bigtime, and Chill was mind blowing all night long too. (she learned on Thursday that she was going to have to play all ernie's parts) There were a couple of really shitfaced people that came close to ruining the night for me. I have so little patience for that kind of public display anymore---it's no wonder I hardly ever go out. I have to really want to see a band to put myself in a situation where I will be plowed into by someone who can barely stand up. And still keeps on drinking.
Anyway--it's time to get ready for Donovan's 1 year old birthday party! I'm excited. We got him some silly toys with really incredible names. As his mom says--it's all about the packaging.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home