Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Good morning!
I am really enjoying the fantasy that it is spring and this is a light spring rain which will be followed by a warm sunny sky. I think it will actually be followed by a steep drop in temperature and some snow, but right now I am happy in my fantasy.
I didn't get out too much in the close to 70 degree weather of yesterday, but I did sit on the porch with rebby for a while when we got home. Then we realized that some neighborhood cat peed on rebby's porch chair, and that put a damper on our enjoyment.
But still, it was nice. I am really ready for spring.
So, this weekend I had kind of a nice weekend which was slightly marred by food poisoning. It happened Thursday. I ate some leftovers from a thai place on liberty in bloomfield on Wednesday night and woke up Thursday feeling queasy. I had a lot of things to do on Thurs, so I worked through it, but when I got home from the catering to the delightful aroma of rebby making ribs, I had to go upstairs and have a lie down. Only I didn't stay down for long, and spent most of the night up and down with my makeshift puke bucket in hand. Of course, I hadn't really eaten much all day, so once the offending matter was actually out of my system we turned to the charming dry heaves. Blargh.
I got myself stabilized to go in to work Friday morning, but once there I realized I was thoroughly exhausted. So as soon as I was able I came home and went right back to bed. Ahhhh. Rebby brought me soup and crackers and ginger ale, and I sat around being a delicate flower all evening. We were supposed to go to an engagement party, and I was really sad at the thought of missing it. But then the terrible weather intervened and it was post poned anyway! So I went back to being a delicate flower, and then I went back to bed.
Saturday morning I worked breakfast and having woken up with a powerful urge for waffles, I decided to get out the ole QS waffle iron. It hasn't seen much action in the past year or so, but I was determined. I made some amazing buttermilk waffles and some pretty good vegan pumpkin apple butter waffles, and people ate them up. Yum!
I hung around making things all afternoon and then headed home. Where nothing much exciting happened. Sunday we took it easy and then decided to hit the coop for some crucial supplies. Before heading out the door I checked my bank balance and BLAMO! My enormous tax refund had arrived! So we had a rather luxurious coop shop. The biggest expenditure was on seeds for the garden---we had gone over the seed catalog I got in the mail in the morning and fantasy ordered about one million dollars worth of seeds. Several of the varieties we had fantasy ordered were available right there at the co-op, so we loaded up! I am so excited about gardening! We even took the giant leap of faith and decided not to get a CSA this year in anticipation of gardening luck (and, lots of famer's market shopping when the gardening luck fails)
The rest of Sunday was more lazing around, after rebby made some delicious blue cheese stuffed burgers for supper. Good times.
Yesterday was the lovely hot day and I enjoyed it as best I could from the kitchen at the restaurant. I was inspired to make some REALLY good soup (lemony kale and chickpea) and REALLY good curry (Persian Eggplant) And then I worked on some seitan stroganoff for a blue plate special. I am hoping the colors will mellow out over night because the vibrantly green peas in the pink tinged brown sauce was not so attractive. Tasted good though, and I'm sure I can mellow it out somehow if need be.
Yesterday afternoon I had a giant nap on the couch, because my sleep patterns are all screwy AGAIN. I've got to get this under control! And start exercizing. I know it would make a huge difference.
OK, I'm going to leave you with something that made coffee shoot out my nose this morning. I haven't checked in to 5 Things in a while, but I am sure glad I did this morning!
Have a good Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home