Saturday, February 23, 2008


Jay Aston, probably NOT singing Desire....

I had such a swirly goth time at the Gene Loves Jezebel show last night! I got super gothed up with my black velvet skirt and a black crinkly gauze dress over it, with a sweater and floaty scarf and my goth hat. I think I may have been one of at least the top 5 gothest people there. Loved it.
We ran into Spat in line--he said he had almost sent a message asking if I was going to the show but then he figured I was. And he was right! I also finally confirmed that the gothy bellydance chick I've seen around here and there is a figure out of my distant goth past. She didn't really know me that well, so I didn't say anything to her last night, but the next time we're in the same place I will make an introduction. Maybe.
Anyhow, we got some expensive drinks (scotch on the rocks for rebby and a grey goose martini for me!) and stood around listening to terrible alternative music waiting for the Sci Fi Idols to go on. Finally, they did, and they were great! It was nice to see them again and sing and dance along. I could not help surveying the crowd to see just what kind of person goes to a Gene Loves Jezebel concert at 7pm on a Friday night in freezing rain. It was an odd mix, for sure. But there were at least 20 people I could safely say were in my age bracket, and thusly were around for the real Gene Loves Jezebel heyday.
Speaking of the heyday, I gotta admit that I only recognized about 5 songs. They didn't do ANY from Promise, the debut album which was my favorite. Of course, that album is all weird and no hits. They did four songs from Discover, which was the BREAKOUT hit album and I got my swirl on bigtime. I recognized a few here and there from later albums (Jealous, Kiss of Life) and a couple I didn't really recognize but I got my swirl on anyway. There was a good chunk of the evening where I was trying really hard but Jay was being a little embarassing. I guess you might have to accept that when trying to relive your gothic youth of 25 or so years ago.
Jay looks good---not ultra androgynously wonderful like in 1985, but good. The rest of the band, not so much. But they all really played with passion, and that's what counts. I mean honestly, Trent Reznor doesn't look that great these days either. But he still has the passion, and these guys did too.
Best part of the night was when I noticed to my left this very tough punk looking dude in a gene loves jezebel tee shirt. I was so skeptical that someone who LOOKED like that would be into this faggy band. But then---he started dancing, and I could see that you really should not judge a book by it's cover. Jokes on me.
When it was all over I sought out Bobby to say goodnight and he told me how excited he is for his cabaret act. God bless him. We headed out into the southside night and went to dinner at Tom's Diner. Dinner in the Diner, nothing could be finer. And then we made our way home in the drizzle, and hopped into bed. Slept until 10am! I guess the vodka did me good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home