Thursday, December 06, 2007

Vegan Leaning Foodie Survey

taken from Isa PPK's blog. Pass it on!

1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I don't tend to drink non dairy milk (or really dairy milk much, unless it's raw and practically straight from the cow) but I like to use Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original in cooking, and I really like the Wildwood soy creamer from TJs.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
I've got some catering stuff to do: Vegan Stuffed Grape Leaves, Vegan Paella, and Papaya Mango Chutney. I'm also looking forward to making Lemon Basil Cookies and Coca Rum Balls for the holiday season.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn?

nutritional yeast and butter, and a little seasoned salt if I'm feeling fancy

4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Oh gawd.....I had to make this avocado, tomato and coconut milk soup for a catering job. I had made it very successfully for brunch one sunday and thought I knew what was up. So I gathered my very expensive fresh avocadoes and perfectly ripe tomatoes and cans of coconut milk and threw it together and.....it curdled like a mofo. the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. Luckily I had done it in the morning so I had time to go to whole foods and get more ripe avocadoes and tomatoes and cans of coconut milk. I think it ended up being a $70 tureen of soup.

5. Favorite pickled item?
I rarely eat them, but I love japanese pickled plums. capers too.

6. How do you organize your recipes?
I have a little personal recipe notebook, and a lot of cookbooks. and the internet.

7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
compost baby!

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
rice cakes, peanut butter and honey. I could live on them for a long time.

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
I think it was my 13th birthday---I got taken to Lyle Alzado's restaurant by my mother and uncle. I can still remember those stuffed potato skins.....

10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
I really don't like vegan ice creams, but I do like a good coconut sorbet.

11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I am in love with my new range hood, honestly.

12. Spice/herb you would die without?
garlic if it counts, cinnamon if not.

13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
hmmmm... I think I have a couple of my mom's old Better Homes and Gardens spiral bound things.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
raspberry

15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
deliciously seasoned roasted vegetables. if they are adventurous, I will hit them with the chicken fried tofu.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
definitely tofu

17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
breakfast when I can make a production of it.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
giant aloe plant (that probably needs water) fondue set, baking pans, a bodum coffee press that needs an insert.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
coffee beans, butternut squash, corn tortillas

20. What’s on your grocery list?
I have to find kosher cheeses and mango puree today. wish me luck

21. Favorite grocery store?
east liberty cooperative farmer's market!

22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
the aforementioned lemon basil cookies. I would like to veganize them and also figure out a way to make them without having to buy a box of lemon cake mix.

23. Food blog you read the most ? Or maybe the top 3?
www.ethicurian.com, www.culinate.com, nowthatsgoodeatin.blogspot.com

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
I really only like dark chocolate, so it's pretty much vegan by default. I also really dig old skool candy canes, which I assume are vegan.

25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
I guess the local organic thanksgiving turkey counts---it was something like $40.

26. How did you get so pretty?
clean livin ;)

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

oohhh

do you think the Lemon Basil cookies are a recipe you might be willing to share with me?

10:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a super easy recipe for lemon basil shortbread cookies. Not vegan, but mighty tasty. I'll find your email address and send it off to you.

1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home