Thursday, December 06, 2007

Boy Howdy!
It's a beautiful sunny snowy day. I need to get out in it soon to shop for rennetless cheeses and mango puree. I think Whole Foods might be my best bet.
I'm looking forward to the walk and also stopping in to Borders for some xmas shopping. It should be a good day!
Last night I made some chocolate chip cookies and rebby and I made Christmas. We had talked about getting a fresh tree this year, but decided that we'd settle for a wreath and a swag of evergreen this year and look forward to a fresh tree next year. you know, after we have curtains. Anyway, we played a tape my friend T made me years ago of songs from Rudolph, Frosty and Friends, with the entire story of the Grinch on the flipside. It was fun. The little tinsel tree looks great perched on top of the hi-fi cabinet in the culture room. It has it's usual collection of aliens, cocktail paraphrenalia, plastic lizards and sea creatures, ninjas, and a few actual Christmas ornaments. For some reason my oh so pagan santa moon decoration was not in the box---I don't remember it breaking last year. Hmm. The tree leans a little to the front but what do you expect from a silver tinsel tree? Especially one loaded down with ornaments in the shape of martini glasses. Hee. I broke with tradition a bit this year and put an angel on the top of the tree instead of my shiny purple star--mostly because it always takes a thousand hours to get the star affixed to the top and then it usually leans a bit. I thought it was time to try something different.
The cookies are very yummy, though I made them too big and too close together on the pan so that I had to cut the giant mass of cookie into rectangles instead of having nice little round shapes. The recipe I used called for SIXTEEN TABLESPOONS OF BUTTER and one and three quarters cups of flour. no kidding. The cookies are a nice combination of chewy and crunchy, and I even put walnuts in them for a little bit of-dare I say it?- healthy protein. Ha. The chocolate I chopped off the big block I got at TJs a while ago. It's a very nice melting chocolate.
So this weekend is going to involve catering and making cocoa rum balls for a party on Tuesday. Tonight, however, I am going to 80s Night (Neon) at Belvedere's. My friend DJ Hates You is donating all the proceeds from the door to the Pittsburgh Aids Task Force, and I want to support him in that. I also have a sacred mission to deliver a vinyl copy of "Total Eclipse" to him so that Klaus Nomi can be represented. This is going to involve trecking up the Hill to retrieve the Nomi and then down the hill to Larryville. Luckily rebby is in for the ride. I am so looking forward to a night out---dancing! Yes it's going to be smoky, and yes its going to be packed with drunken people who were not even born in the 80s, but I think I will still manage to have a great time. Especially if I get to dance to "Total Eclipse".
It's also going to be a little pre-birthday celebration for Jilly. Come on out if you can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home