Tuesday, November 13, 2007


Hi there!
Yep, I'm rockin the Loverboy look! I found a couple of t shirt sleeves I had cut off for work, and realized that they make perfect headbands of the Loverboy style. So it's my new thing. Mostly an at home look though---I doubt I'll be rockin it anywhere in public.
So, yesterday I suffered a classic cook injury---picked up a pot that had been on the stove for an hour without pot holders. The front handle was cool, so I just grabbed it. Of course, the back handle had been mostly over the flame and sizzled my fingers all the way across. Ugh. It's the kind of injury that is more annoying than anything else, especially to someone who cooks for a living and really should be more careful. But sometimes it just happens, and then you spend the rest of the day meatfisted. It was difficult for me to do much else after that, so I kinda took it easy. I also took a handful of ibuprofen to try to deal with the throb, which started to really kick in when I got home. And had a Nosferatu with dinner.
Whoops. The result of that was passing out on the couch during the Simpsons. I managed to crawl off the couch around 7pm to check my email and crawl into bed. Woke up around 9pm with the Celebrity Expose! of Rose O'Donnell. Huh. Sort of a wasted evening, but maybe sleeping was what my fingers needed? They feel much better today. I think tonight's dish shift is going to suck, but maybe I can find some gloves.
Between the burning and the sleeping, I did an interview with a really nice woman who is writing a master's thesis on gender and queer identity in the Pittsburgh music community. It was interesting for me to think about my experience in the music scene in terms of gender/sexuality. I honestly told her that I had never really felt any lack of acceptance---but I had to qualify that with the fact that I move in pretty progressive circles, and the fact that I had a hand in CREATING the scene I move amongst puts me in a different sort of category than someone who might be newer to the scene. Also, I'm OLD, and I think that makes a difference too. I can't wait to read her paper when it's done!
So, the weekend: it's kind of a blur, but mostly good. Friday night I went to see Murder Party! and it was really awesome! I was sort of concerned that I would not enjoy it since I'm not so much the horror movie type, but it was witty and well filmed, and the gore is sort of silly. And also, I am really good friends with the Key Grip. ;) He sat next to me, and it was nice to see him even though we didn't really get the chance to talk. Hopefully soon.
Afterwards a group of us went to the Squirrel Cage for a beer, only the place was packed. So we downed a quick beer standing up and headed home.
Saturday morning was Turkey Time! I got a 16 pound beauty, and we also picked up some ground beef and a butt roast from a nice rancher dude. Also some mushrooms for my green bean casserole. And some kale, I think? Yeah. I also reloaded on tortillas from Reynas---I'm not sure what all their tortillas contain, but I know they are made on site and that's good for me. Also, they're damn yummy! I picked up some corn tortillas this time too. Haven't tried them yet.
Saturday afternoon while Rebby worked the film fest I did a bunch of laundry and went to town on my room. I came up with the best repurposing ever---I think I'm gonna send it to ReadyMade. I turned my old shower organizer(which doesn't fit over either of the shower heads in the house) into the world's best jewelry organizer! All my earrings, necklaces, and rings have a spot for hanging. It's really great to be able to see them all arrayed like that. I also hung up all my buttons and my hats and scarves and purses. It's coming together...sloooooowly, but I have faith. Also, I have 30 years.....
Saturday night I bailed on the rock show....I was feeling a little ill, and feeling really apprehensive about the smoke in Gooskis. I've turned into a real pussy since quitting smoking. It kinda pisses me off---but I think in the long run it was best that I got a good night's sleep before brunch.
Brunch was super slow due to the Steelers/browns throwdown. That's ok---I got a lot done and sold almost all the bread pudding I made, and all the frittata. Sunday night was a kitchen meeting where we discussed the finer points of salad dressings.
A good time.
I finally found the cord which enables me to transfer pictures from the camera to the computer, so I can finally upload the pics from the Day of the Dead celebration we went to in Boston. It was in the cemetery right near my sister's house, where it turns out Anne Sexton is buried. Who knew?
Here's a heads up for you...this morning I turned on Good Morning America (that's the one with Matt Lauer, right? I get them confused) and managed to catch the Red Hot Chili Pipers doing We Will Rock You. They are my new favorite thing. I'm off to check emusic.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home