Saturday, December 15, 2007

Got the Spirit

Ho ho ho!
I'm deep into the cookie scene today, listening to this wild internet rocking christmas radio station. Right now Jon Bon Jovi is singing about how he wishes every day could be like Christmas. Earlier, he was my back door santa. heh. I've heard my ultimate christmas jam by Billy Squier, and several awesome christmas songs by ringo starr that I hadn't heard before.
So far, I've done the first batch of lemon basil cookies, and pine nut rosemary shortbread. The shortbread is kinda a bitch cuz the dough is SO BUTTERY, but the finished product is so worth it. I've also got some gingerbread chillin in the fridge---I added tangerine juice and double all the spices cuz I can't leave well enough alone. Turns out I don't have a gingerbread man cutter anymore---not sure if I'll trace a pattern or just do ginger bells. Probably the latter---I've already got myself in pretty deep here and I don't need to add tracing paper to the mix.
Still on the boards is another batch of lemon basil cookies (this one with dried blueberries instead of currants--woo!) cowboy cookies(the amazing chocolate chip oatmeal things that colin and mikey brought for thanksgiving) possibly some butterballs, possibly some snickerdoodles, possibly some macaroons, and almost definitely some rosettes. I was digging in the drawer looking for my cookie cutters and found the rosette iron I got at a thrift store some time last summer. I'm thinking my grandmother must have made them, because I remember them always being around at Christmastime but I don't remember mom ever making them. Hmm. Anyway, I'm gonna try my hand. wish me luck.
It strikes me as strange that last year at this time I was making Velveeta Peanut Butter Fudge and Cocoa Rum Balls with corn syrup. Now I can't imagine buying those things.....though I certainly would not turn down some if I was offered.
It's suddenly very snowy---hope that it doesn't get too awful to go out to the big show tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home