Sunday, December 09, 2007

A Very Pagey Weekend

So. somehow I had completely missed the boat on the whole Led Zeppelin reunion show until Thursday. Seriously, with as much time as I spend on the internet you would think that I would have heard about it somewhere. Not even a Yahoo news headline (actually, I think that is how I did eventually hear about it) So once I heard about it I became completely obsessed about it. Of course, I won't be there tomorrow in one of the 70,000 $250 seats (reportedly TWO MILLION people put in for the seat lottery. Zoinks!) But I have been enjoying a Pagey renaissance of sorts. First of all, when I went to get a birthday present for Jilly (I had one in mind, but it turned out to be way more expensive at Borders than Amazon. Like, $10 more. What gives, Borders?) I saw the big display of recently released Zep stuff. I ended up getting her the new DVD of Song Remains the Same with the extra tracks and surround sound. Woo. I also picked up a Mojo Magazine with several interviews with the Zep boys. I read the Pagey one all the way through. I still love him utterly. Bobert confounds me, especially now that he looks more like the Cowardly Lion than anything else (is it any surprise that he's a Leo?) I haven't read all of the interview with Jonesy yet. I have been listening to Zep while doing housework. I REALLY need to get another CD of Presence. Seem to have lost the one I had. How does this happen?
Anyhow, there were a few other elements to the weekend besides the Pageyness. Thursday was the Red Hot and Neon party, and I had a blast. Spat did a great job, people danced, Jilly and I drank tequila shots at midnight, and I stayed until almost the bitter end (thought I was leaving at a respectable hour, but it turned out to be 1:50 am. HA!) There were several moments where I almost cried, because I am a sap---especially when he played "Under Pressure." Sigh.
Friday I struggled through on 4 hours of sleep---had to make a ginormous pan of vegan paella for the catering, and lots of stuff for in house. It was a fast paced day. Friday night I made a papaya mango chutney and thought about grape leaves, but I was way too beat to get into them. So I went to bed.
Six am I was up and rolling grape leaves while watching Elizabeth. It's one of those quiet talking movies, and the furnace kept kicking on while my hands were covered in grape leaf stuffing, so I couldn't turn up the sound. I will have to watch it again from the begining when I am not distracted and able to operate the sound properly. Seems like a great story, and Geoffrey Rush is in it, and there is lots of intrigue. I was put off by the CGI at the begining though. There really was no reason for it except some duder thinking it would look cool.
So after rolling the leaves I headed to the strip for some last minute plates and forks and knives, then to the storm to help out and get things organized. It was beautiful chaos in the kitchen, and I jumped right in and made aioli and slaw and grated cheese and fetched things and helped organize and filled dressing bottles and sorted spinach....it's really a rush to be in that tiny space when it's super busy and everyone is on the same page. I'm so happy that the tension of the past few weeks seems to be melting away and we are getting to be a big happy family again. I've missed it. Eventually it was time to get stuff together for the catering job, which we did. I had my usual momentary panics but everything came together well.
We arrived at the UP and unloaded only to find that our prep table wasn't set up yet. So everything went on the floor and we started to organize as best we could. Eventually we got our table and the tables out front done and we went into expedite mode---it really was a simple job from a set up and present point of view. When you throw 75 or so kids under the age of 15 into the mix, it becomes another story entirely. Plus, it's the Union Project, so the floor is all slanty. And, it was really hot. And, they had the tables set up in a really weird grid so everything was choppy and then the very loud Jewish Pop Music soundtrack came on. It was all disorienting. People ate and drank ravenously, which I can only take as a compliment. The chocolate fountain was a disgusting mess, but not the nightmare I had feared. Basically, everything went much better than it could have, given the set of circumstances. I was really glad to be out of there though.
Slept hard, had a nice Sunday breakfast, and of course the rest of the day has been dedicated to various kitchen chores. We went to the co-op this evening to get supplies for the cocoa rum balls.....I made what I hope was a wise decision to make them with rice syrup instead of corn syrup. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a bottle of that cursed stuff. Between the cocoa and the powdered sugar and the orange flavored rum, I think they will be just dandy. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home