Thursday, December 13, 2007

Zoinks! What a Week!
Rebby and I have both been sick on and off since Thanksgiving. She's got the worst of it right now...I'm just a little congested and lethargic. Anyway, the upshot of both of us being sick is that the house has fallen into utter disarray. I managed to partially clean the kitchen over the weekend so that I could roll the cocoa rum balls in less than squalor, but everything is piled up again. There are veggies in the fridge that need attention, and yesterday when I got home early (see below) I found a mysterious sticky puddle in front of the fridge. Turns out the apple cider I've been accidentally-on-purpose fermenting finally ate through the plastic bottle and was leaking all over the fridge and floor. I swiffered it as a stop gap measure last evening but today is going to require a serious scrubbing. Today is also going to require some serious laundry, and dish washing, and food prepping, and present shopping. It seems that lately I am busier on my "day off" than when I am actually working.
Speaking of working, Tuesday night was the City Paper Best of 2007 Party. We FINALLY got first place in the vegetarian category after hovering between 2nd and 3rd for years. I didn't realize just how excited I was about it until we got to the party and saw it projected wall sized behind the DJ. The party was a lot of fun--it was at Diesel, which used to be Nick's Fat City. Not the kind of place I would ever consider spending an evening of my own volition, but I had a good time. Our table was set up right next to Six Penn, and I got to chat a bit with Chef Chris who seemed to recognize me from a few local foodie type things we've both attended (and also last year's party) We set up our spread in about 10 minutes---apple cheddar quesadillas, red pepper basil pinwheels, scallion pancakes with pineapple chutney, blackeyed pea hummus, mockamole(made from peas!) and lentil pate. And the aforementioned cocoa rum balls, which I was serving with cocktail swords. I looked to my right and saw poor Chris slaving away with a pastry bag---he was serving about 8 different kinds of deviled eggs. They were all yummy, and precious, but the man was working himself TO DEATH over there while we danced and whooped it up and drank free vodka drinks. I also got to sample some Mineo's pizza, chorizo with spinach and raisins from Ibiza, and delightful tiny cupcakes from Dozen. And then there was the stuff that didn't turn me on so much---Big Burrito quesadillas and Muriel's quesadillas, and I never even got to the Indian food. (I'm sure it was great) By the end of the night I had a headache AND a tummy ache and I had to open in the morning. Ugh. I did it, and made a bunch of food, but as soon as the lunch crew got there I beat it home to nap on the couch. Whee!
Hopefully the wonderful article written by LUPEC lady Frivolous Filly will go online eventually so I can link to it. And hopefully some people who may have previously been a)afraid of vegetarian food or b) afraid of Garfield will finally give us a try. I'm really proud!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home