Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Woah, I am so not operating at full power these days! I am SO sleepy when the alarm goes off at 6am and SO draggy getting myself together and then I kick it into high gear and bang out all kinds of food from 7am-3pm and then I straggle home and collapse in a heap. I've literally been in bed by 9:30pm the last several nights and by that I mean to SLEEP. I can't catch up. rebby has been working the schedule of the damned also, and we are sort of like ghosts to each other in the house. It's kinda sad but there is light at the end of the tunnel. After this weekend, things will be a bit calmer. At least that's what I've been telling myself.
Monday night since I had to run to the farmer's market and run home and then go back to work for a catering meeting, when rebby got home we decided to go out for dinner. I really wanted mashed potatoes, so we thought Dunning's Grill in Regent Square would be a good choice. It's sort of an "Irish" pub, at least if you look at the decor, so it stands to reason that potatoes would be on the menu. Except, when we actually GOT the menu, it was ITALIAN NIGHT. Ha! Well, no fear, they still had potato skins for an appetizer, and one of the Italian entrees was Chicken Piccata. I'm pretty sure I waxed lyrical about Piccata here before, but it's a sauce of lemon, butter and capers. Love. Rebby ordered Meatball Parmigiana. So we got our skins and they were good, and our dinner salads were also great. When she brought the entrees (we weren't even 1/3 of the way into the salads---bad waitressing form) I took a look at my "piccata" and immediately assumed she had picked up the wrong plate. It was in a brown wine-ish looking sauce with parsley and mushrooms. She didn't give me a minute to say anything, but she came back around in a few (I was still working on my salad) and I told her I was pretty sure that was Chicken Marsala and not Chicken Piccata. So she picked up the plate and walked TOWARD the kitchen, but I swear to god she did not go all the way INTO the kitchen. She came back and told me "that's how we make the Piccata". Hmm. I almost asked her to bring me Chicken Marsala instead so I could compare, but I got the feeling that she would make things really unplesant. And plus, Marsala isn't bad. It just isn't Piccata. I finished it off and the waitress had the audacity to say "it must not have been that bad" to which I replied, curtly "it wasn't BAD at all, it just wasn't Piccata." I really should have asked to speak with the cook because it was their debut night with the Italian menu, and if anyone else ever orders Piccata who knows what it is the same thing is bound to happen. But, really, I wasn't in the mood to help an Irish pub figure out their Italian menu. I just hope that my complaint actually got to the cook and s/he does a little research.
I am hoping to get through the work day today with enough energy to come home and do the dishes, so that I can get started on some catering stuff for the wedding. Also, I've got a brisket to roast and today is vegetable day so lord knows what I'll have to deal with. Tomorrow is the blessed WEEKDAY OFF, but I have to spend a large chunk of it shopping for the catering. Like I said....get me through this weekend, and there should be some reward in the form of a little uninterrupted sleep. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home