Saturday, October 20, 2007

My Sentiments Exactly

So, we played a show at the REA Coffeehouse at Chatham last night. Wow, what a trip down memory lane! First, there was the driving back and forth and asking multiple random girls how to get there. Finally we found it, but only the "exit" driveway. It seemed deserted enough so we decided to just drive up it anyway. Probably not the best thing to do, but the real way in was not evident. We got in and saw the ladies from Flotilla Way huddled around the door---apparently all the coffeehouse doors were on lockdown, so they had to get some security guards (and later locksmiths) to get in. We finally loaded in, and then it was like a distant memory slowly coming in to focus. I kept catching glimpses of graffiti that would remind me of the last time I was there, or some other random time I played or saw a show. Alan remembered Dead at 24 playing there with the 1985 at least once---I couldn't remember that until we actually got on stage and my floor tom started to buckle. That brought back the memories of my floor tom ALWAYS buckling during D@24 shows. Rebby remembers the Viragos playing there with Weird Paul--that I have NO memory of at all. That must have been during the heavy self medication period. I do remember distinctly the Paul Lynde 451 Halloween show, where Spaz used my pink jelly dildo as a microphone, and I was in charge of operating the flashing lights on the giant Bitey Coochie.
Anyway, it was a nice mellow night....Flotilla Way played, and they were great. I can't wait till they get their CD done, and I can't wait to play with them again. They brought baked goods and handmade notecards since they didn't have CDs. Ha!
Next up was Leslie who jumped on the bill at the last minute since Kill the Unicorn couldn't do it. She was bluesy and sexy as always. She did a surprise cover of "Another One Bites the Dust." HA! It was extra fun to see Spat there singing and dancing along to all her songs. Then was Hailey Wojzik, who had come all the way from Brooklyn. After her car broke down in Chinatown, she rented a new one and continued on. She and her Girlfriend Faith were troopers! She played really interesting music mostly on ukelele and strumboard--the tiniest stringed instrument I'd ever seen. Her second to last song was a strumboard cover of some top 40 club banger I didn't know---"Beautiful Girls" by Sean Kingston. It was awesome to hear all the crusties and baby dykes and gender benders singing along to a folksy strumboard version of a hip hop song. Hee hee.
Next we played, and almost the minute I got up on the stage I remembered being there. It was great for me because with the projector on I could only see the tinsel and the christmas lights around the stage. I felt like I was in my own private world. My drums also sounded really good in the space, and I could hear the keyboard really well. It was lovely! We played a brand new song that I had never heard before (Al sang it to me in the sofa king room before we went on) and it is my new favorite. I'll tell you what it's called when I find out. A new goth hit for the ages. Really makes me wish I had pestered manny harder to get on the Chemlab bill, but I don't know if the boys would be up for it. Maybe it's not to late to ask....
So today is the wedding---I still have to wash the glassware and make the deviled egg stuffing, which i will pipe in on site. I think it's going to be a fun wedding--they have a family whiskey shot listed on the reception itinerary. Also, it's an older couple and a lot of times that means things are more chill and friendly.
Rebby and I got up early this morning and hit the strip---we went to Delucas for breakfast and got some pork chops from the happy pig man (he had no bacon---the horrors! because his processor is backed up. next week, tho...) and some onions and a few assorted spices and things. I stopped in to a strange gift store and ended up with some amazing beautiful note cards. Now that I am writing letters I wanted to be able to send something pretty! I think I hit the jackpot.
On the way back we decided to stop at the Bring and Sell on Washington Blvd. It's a giant sort of flea market/junk shop where we could have spent hours and thousands. Rebby got some really well made very old tools. I didn't get anything, but saw several things that might be holiday presents. Can't wait to go back.
Tomorrow we'll have a slow and easy and lazy day off. except, we might go to the zoo! We'll see. And rebby might go get our chest freezer, if she can find a big strong boy to help load it into the basement in exchange for beer and pork chops. Updates to follow.

1 Comments:

Blogger madorange said...

Did I attend shows there? Because I have absolutely no memory of the place. I suppose of Dead at 24 played there, I was there...? Sucks having such a horrible memory!!

Happy pig! Lucky!

I want some of your deviled eggs. Yum.

Have an excellent day off tomorrow. I'll be watching football and knitting. xo

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home