Sunday, August 26, 2007

Shopping Helps


So, Saturday I went to work, and had a pretty fine time. I got there wicked early to put together a catering donation for a local TV comedy show. When they came to pick up the wrap sandwiches and chips and salsa and tater salad their eyes lit up. It felt good.
I also got to train the new gal, upon whom I already have the "competency crush." You know that crush you get on someone who asks all the right questions, and jumps in where they are needed, and (best ever) replaces the can of chickpeas they use to make hummus from the downstairs pantry without being told? That kind. Though I have to admit she is AWFULLY cute and really swell and also has the same birthday as me. So it might be *slightly* more than a compentency crush, but it is mostly that.
ANYWAY, the morning was super busy but we powered through, and lots of people ordered my Peachy Croissant with eggs, cream cheese, fresh peaches, fakin bacon and apricot preserves. Yum. Jilly arrived looking all bronze and marvelous and we chatted about her vacation while doing the dishes (as the dishwasher didn't show up)
It was a good day at work, and then my honeygirl showed up to fetch me and we went thrifting. I was in serious need of pants, as I seem to be losing weight despite myself and all my pants are either too big or too full of holes. So we hit the Red White and Blue, where I got several pairs of pants, a Julia Child cookbook, and a terra cotta roaster for $4.00. I am beyond excited for that. We traveled on and hit the other thrift stores on 51, and I got more pants, some blouses, a couple dresses, and some wire racks for magazines and bathroom items. We did not go crazy. We stopped at the Brentwood Express for ribs and pulled pork, and it was amazing. Good lord. I was not too pleased with the chemical cocktail lemonade or the chemical cocktail cheese sauce....I guess I've become super sensitive because stuff like that really tastes HORRIBLE to me now. But the pork was so good it didn't completely mar the meal. We went to Gabriel Brothers which was REALLY, really a mistake on the Saturday before most kids go back to school. The place was literally SWARMING with poorly behaved children and ineffectual parents. I grabbed a black hoodie, some plain white baby Ts for present making, and a dust ruffle and fitted sheet for the bed, and then I was done. Rebby went a little wild in the t shirt aisle, getting a stock of shirts for the screen printing business. Oh! I got a garlic press too. I have finally given in. It's so much nicer for dressings to have pressed garlic than slivered, I think.
Anyway, as we were headed back we got a call that the Bonello clan was back from the beach with fruits of the sea for us, so we stopped at the Lang compound to pick up our bounty. Scallops, scallops, scallops, and a couple of crab cakes. Glory Hallelujah!
This morning we slept in until 8:30! and then had a leisurely pancake egg bacon tater breakfast. Eventually we bathed ourselves and set out for food shopping, stopping to recycle all our recycle-ables. I went slightly mad in the bulk aisle, and I indulged in some eqyptian henna shampoo to go with the rinse I got the last time we co-op shopped. It is my single most favorite HBA product of all time. The scent of this stuff sends me into la-la land. We stocked up on a bunch of other stuff, spent a lot of $$, and then went to get beer. It's been a long time since I've lived in a house with beer always in the fridge, and I kinda like it. We chose a Saranac fall sampler, with black forest ale, two kinds of pale ale, and a black and tan. Perfect for slightly chilly fall days, should they choose to arrive.
Oh! I didn't mention the adorable bamboo star patterned table I got for sitting on the porch with beverages. It's lovely, and looks handmade though it was made in china. Perhaps by hand....I don't know.
Now we are preparing to go to Jilly's place for a cookout. I just realized with abject horror that our kitchen meeting and the meat puppets show are both on Tuesday night...hopefully I can weasel my way around it. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home