Thursday, January 25, 2007

the grits!

Good lord, somehow I completely forgot to mention the grits in my dinner recap. I think that's because they weren't so much on the menu and I was doing the recap off the menu, which I had printed out and sitting next to me. But, I can't go without mentioning the grits, and really, they were good enough to have their own entry.
So here we go.

When Jilly went for her birthday, one of the starters she got was the butter poached lobster which came on a bed of grits. She said she picked it mostly because she was very curious about the grits...yeah, lobster's cool and everything, but....
Anyway, when I later talked to her about her birthday meal, she had the most to say about the grits. The consistency, the corn flavor, the delightful appearance. She wanted me to experience these grits. So we asked the server if we could have a little taste of them, and she ordered us up a whole side dish.

Good lord.

If you look here, you will see that these are not any ordinary grits. No, these grits require the equivalent of four pages of instructions to cook them properly. Reader, let me tell you....it's totally worth it. These grits were SO creamy and SO full of flavor that it seems wrong to even call them by the same name as the stuff I had out of the blue cardboard carton last night. I don't think I am going to be spending $23 on a bag of grits any time soon, but I believe there are probably some places around where I can get good quality stone ground grits a little cheaper, and use the soaking and slow cooking method to produce heavenly pillows of corny goodness. I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home