Friday, December 08, 2006

Greetings from my house of tragi-comedy!

This week has been an exercise in how funny it can be when things go horribly awry.
First of all, the light in my kitchen started acting funny a couple months ago...like there is a wire loose, so you have to jiggle the switch to get it to stay lit. Whatevs, right? I just dealt with it. Then, about two weeks ago, it blew out completely. I didn't feel like dealing with it, or calling the landlord to deal with it, so I moved a lovely orange IKEA paper lamp in there. It's very cozy, not so great for cooking at night, but nice. The living room light does fine at illuminating the counter, so it's no real big deal. Then, the tiny halogen bulb in my desk lamp burned out. That sucked, because I don't like to turn on the overhead light for early morning computering if rebby is still asleep, but I also didn't have a spare bulb, so I dealt with turning on the overhead for a couple of days. Then, the overhead bedroom light burnt out, and that was the final straw. So, under the sink I go to dig out the lightbulbs, and then into the storage corner I go to dig out the ladder. I changed the kitchen bulb, and in the process of getting the globe off, it cracked. Dammit. Seriously, I wasn't a huge fan of that fixture to begin with, and given the wire problem I need a whole new fixture anyway. But still. Dammit. So now I have a very clinical overhead light or a soft and glowy orange paper light in my kitchen. Both have their applications.
I moved into the bedroom and changed that bulb, and left that fixture off too, mostly because I did not want to have my arms over my head for the extended period it would take to screw it back on. Plus, I'm diggin the brightness.
So, all's good (except the desk lamp, which is going to require a trip to home depot, I think) right? Well yes, in the world of lighting----but apparently in the process of digging the bulbs out from under the sink I dislodged the connector ring on the drain pipe. I found this out when I heard a loud "Whoosh!" while starting to wash the dishes that had been soaking for a couple of days. Ugh. Nothing like a bunch of paper bags and miscellaneous stuff (twine! four balls of it! vacuum cleaner bags from a vacuum I no longer own! etc!) damped with three day old dishwater. Not to mention the POOL of water that I had to soak up with my kitchen towels. Bleck. It did force me to clean out the whole under sink area and get rid of a lot of crap I don't know why I was hanging on to (I kept the twine, but not the bags) so that was good.
Today's tragi-comedy moment came when I returned home from the indian grocery to discover what looked like a pancake laying next to my refrigerator. I had about a minute of cognitive dissonance, and then finally realized that it was a pool of sweetened condensed milk. Meaning, somewhere in the bowels of my refrigerator was an upturned can of sweetened condensed milk, slowly oozing everywhere. Yep, it's true. I managed to dig the can out, but I haven't gone in with the heavy duty cleaning impliments yet. This is a whole other level of "bleck".
Despite willfully ignoring the oozing milk, I am feeling very virtuous right now as I not only put in some laundry, but also ate the mother of all hippiefied dinners. Brown rice and lentils with roasted broccoli and carrots and lemon tahini sauce. Yes, it was all organic and shit. But let me tell you something.......so good. Simple, yes, but so good. I also drank two full glasses of water. I am such a good girl. Earlier today I had sourdough toast with butter and nutritional yeast, coffee, yogurt with bananas, and two samosas from Kholis. I am wallowing in virtue, n'est-ce pas?
I think the biggest effect of reading The Omnivore's Dilemma ( I guess I haven't really mentioned that I am reading it, but astute readers will have seen it in my sidebar) besides my pathological fear and resentment of corn, is that I can't think about eating meat without seeing it in terms of corn and petroleum. As grass fed beef seems to be impossible to get around here (I guess I haven't hunted too carefully, but I certainly haven't seen any proudly labeled grass fed) I think I will be eating a lot less meat. I think that's okay. I also REALLY don't want to eat any corn fed salmon. Can you even imagine such a thing?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home