Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving....a delicious and low key day. I was (and still am, a little bit) fighting nostalgia for my 4day drunken freak fests of yore, but I have to say that a gourmet meal in the company of beautiful funny women was good for the soul. The meal included a moist and attractive tea brined turkey, lime roasted yams, corn pudding with smoked gouda, truffle and garlic smashed potatoes, creamed spinach, traditional stuffing, cranberry fig chutney, ginger cranberry relish, and cranberry sauce out of a can (we had it all ways, baby!) brussels sprouts with apples onions and bacon and a mustard brown sugar glaze(my new favorite thing to put in my mouth, for reals) crescent rolls in the traditional crescent shape(as opposed to roadkill, or a giant baby) date cake with sticky toffee topping and sweet potato ice cream, and butternut squash pie. I think that's everything. Cranberry mojitos, pete's winter ale, and dusky australian shiraz also. Lots of laughter and good smells and camaraderie and watching of the top 100 songs of the 80s (Livin on a Prayer? Get real!) I walked home around 11 pm and the cool evening air refreshed my head. I ended up staying up late into the night working on my new wave cabaret historical reference.
I did NOT, however, watch Urgh a Music War. I feel like I should sit down with it today while I do laundry so the Thanksgiving weekend is not a total sacrilege.
Yesterday I went into the restaurant to receive the frankferd order(ha! they were 45 minutes later than the latest estimate, so I sat there and smoked cigarettes for a long time) and learned the terrible news that the houses of friends and acquaintances had burned to the ground early in the morning. The emotional rollercoaster I went on in those 20 minutes, coupled with the intense effort of throwing together scrambled tofu roasted vegetables, caramelized onions, onion gravy and crumbled soysage in under 20 minutes, sent me straight to bed when I got home about two hours later than I had anticipated. No laundry for me. Instead I had a great nap and then headed over to J&W's place for wine and leftovers! And great conversation. I love to go to their house and sit at the table with a bottle of wine and good tunes on the stereo. I swear I am going to have them over for brussels sprouts before the year is out! Their leftovers were awesome (I got some green bean casserole which I was missing from my turkey day, and both pumpkin AND pecan pie!) and I got a new red hat out of the deal too! Thanks again guys.
Anita and Colin picked me up from there and we came to my place for a low fi practice. I was so full of mixed emotions about it, but in the end I realize it was just what I needed. Grounding. There are new songs which we are going to fearlessly trot out tonight because we live on the edge. Ha!
Today I am working saturday morning breakfast and I think it is going to be a killer. Then I will come home and do the laundry I neglected yesterday and finish off the leftovers and try to get my place back in order, a little bit. And then get dolled up for the 31st Street Pub!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home