Monday, November 27, 2006

Wow, the 90s were not completely a musical wasteland, you know? I am listening right now to "Low" by Cracker. That is a good tune. Also, that song by the toadies about the vampire...I'm always on the lookout for that one. I remember these songs from when I was the assistant manager at the carlow bookstore and we would play WXXP on the boombox ontop of the milkcrate in the corner of the clothing section. I remember one time I had to leap across the room to turn it off because I had a store full of nuns and howard stern was about to say something REALLY offensive. Those were the days!
So, the show! It was a good one. I got myself dolled up and bought a pack of salem ultra light 100s and headed down to the pub. I started to drink beck's dark immediately. Chatted with some friends and started to get excited. And then I started to get a little irritated that it was 10:45 and my bandmates were not there yet. And then, I got a call from Anita saying that they had called a cab an hour before. Ugh. I talked to some people and got a few volunteers to go and pick them up, but I didn't want to ask someone to do that since the first band had already started. But I went outside and called colin and he said that they were on their way, even though he couldn't actually hear me. He just shouted into the phone.
Moments later they pulled up in the car...apparently it had arrived just in the nick of time. Sigh. We loaded in and I got another beer and set about enjoying the show.
Stefano Men---wow! Rick bach's songs are so great! Sam's drumming is the perfect mix of wacky and controlled...it's hard to describe, but I always feel like he is holding things together despite the fact that he is basically self destructing behind the kit. Love it. Rick bach sang a song about all the gods getting together and having a drunken barbecue with lap dances and bumper cars. Ha!
I had a few more beers...I don't know how many. Then we set up. Well, we started to set up and I discovered that my timbale stand was shot in a whole different way from how it had been shot at the last show. Colin my superhero went outside and came back in with three giant sandbags which he plunked down on the legs. Brilliant. The boys hit the whiskey and then we were off! We started out with all new songs, and people seemed to dig them. There was a lot of standing and nodding, which I took to be a sign of appreciation. We really aren't a dancey band, dude. It's about the lyrics. We did a fine job of pulling off even the songs I had only heard once. It all went by in a flash for me, really. Our final number was a tribute to the burned down house.
Jumped off the stage and collected compliments...my favorite thing in the world is when a girl comes up to me and tells me that watching me makes her want to play the drums. That means I've done my job!
The Skinks set up and launched into their happy swirly set. At some point Ben showed up next to me in a big tan overcoat and a yellow toque that says YIPPEE! in red all around the middle. So cute! Will dedicated the T Rex-y song to me. Yay! I was tuckered out so sat for their set, but lots of people were bouncing and dancing and having a drunkenly good time. Saturday night baby.
At some point, my superhero came up to me and said something about owing me a debt he hopes I will continue to let him pay. I am not sure what that meant, although I think I know. It's nice to play music with people I feel very connected to. To whom I feel very connected. I was having more and more fantasies of getting a warehouse to bang on things and set things on fire. Someday, my friends. Heliofucker.
There was some confusion at the end of the night but eventually I was taken home. I gave the boys the last of the compari and sent them off to the afterparty. I went to the afterparty in my bed.
Brunch was pretty busy, but not overwhelming. I was tuckered out and that made it hard. But we did it, and I went home intending to get in the bed again. Instead, I got on the computer and ended up in the sickthings chatroom with some of my old friends and a really depressed chick from Sweden. It was mostly fun, but I just don't understand people who hijack conversation so they can talk about their problems. Plus---how can you be depressed when you live in sweden? seriously. I would be so psyched all the time.
I am pretty psyched that I am going to have wednesday morning off so I can attend the wednesday morning global roxie radio party. I've missed it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home