Thursday, November 16, 2006

Yesterday tragedy struck! I realized around 7am that I only had $5.57 in my checking account, and I would need $4.95 to get my wireless internet pass for the day at the restaurant so I could join the roxie global rock party. So I hoofed down to the mac machine to deposit some cash, then hoofed to the storm. The barista was late, so I had to run around and turn on the lights and make coffee instead of settling in to get my internet set up. She got there a few minutes later and I ran into the kitchen and pulled out my computer and.....NO CONNECTION. Telerama was not to be found. There was some other network that claimed I was connected, but I couldn't actually access anything. THE HORROR! I kept trying for about 20 minutes and finally had to give up. No roxie party for me. So sad! I was pretty busy at breakfast, and there was plenty of stuff to do to take up my time, but....still. And then I had to wash dishes too! Insult to injury. But I did make some really damn yummy tofu chicken and dumplings, and a very popular pumpkin curry soup.
When I got home I sped to hook my computer back up to my pathetic dialup, which felt like a godsend at that point. I connected to the rock home of stockholm but had JUST missed the repeat of the Roxie show! Waaaah. AND THEN....I got a myspace message from one of my roxie friends that he had finally played the hanoi rocks I have been patiently requesting since his first show. WHAT!?!? tragic, I tell you.
I had some things to do at the desk, so I ordered a pizza and made the commitment to listen to the next go round, which ended up starting at 8pm. But I finally heard it! Malibu Beach Nightmare!!!
I have to say that it might have been a good thing after all that I wasn't listening at the restaurant, because he played "The Freshmen" by the Verve Pipe which always gets me a little weepy, and then....."This Is The Sea" by the Waterboys. That song takes me right past a little weepy into practically hysterical with the melodramatic tears. I swear I haven't heard it or thought of it in about 10 years, but the very first note sent me into such a state that had I been in the kitchen I am sure I would have been on the floor mat in a puddle. The album came out the year I graduated from high school, and I think I must have gotten it in one of those Columbia Music House deals. I don't have it anymore, and that is a tragedy all it's own. If you are wondering what to get me for Christmas or my birthday, this might be a good bet. I may of course order it for myself before then because I am sort of obsessive like that. I know I have "The Pan Within" on some gothy mixtape I made for myself back then...maybe that will hold me over for a while. Maybe some brave soul will do a cover of a Waterboys song for the New Wave Cabaret.....
SO yeah, it's official--Feb 3rd at the Pub. I already have at least 5 confirmed acts. I already have a promise of bauhaus, love and rockets, inxs, depeche mode, and duran duran. What I don't have yet is any idea what I am going to wear. I should get on that. My sister is hoping to come and do a bellydance performance to an Adam Ant song. Have I mentioned how much I love her?
Speaking of stuff I love....I really fucking love Sweden. Not only can you use bad curse words on the radio (I swear I blushed when I heard Roxie drop the f bomb in the middle of the night last night!) but also, they have a government office dedicated to fighting discrimination based on sexual orientation. I am not sure what the Swedish name is, but the acronym is HomO. Isn't that the cutest thing ever? The current HomO looks like such a nice fellow too. Between the great radio, and the best military issue long underwear and wool socks ever, and the socialized medicine and human rights programs, and the HomO, and the salty licorice fish, and of course,um, that guy.....what's his name again?....ha! I don't know why I haven't moved there yet. Maybe it's the 6 months of darkness...but hey, I'm a gothy girl! I could so get used to it. If the democrats don't manage to turn this country around in the next two years, I am going to consider it. I wonder if there are vegans in Sweden? Why, yes, there are. What do you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home