Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Yay!
The schedule for the gay and lesbian film festival arrived in my mailbox yesterday when I was on my way to play a show at the garfield artworks. (well, it obviously arrived a lot earlier, but I had no occasion to leave my house yesterday. yes.) It was a short form schedule so I had to look up the details online. As usual, the boy movies look a lot more interesting to me than the girl movies. Is there really no interesting lesbian cinema being made anymore, or is it just not trickling down to Pittsburgh? I'm curious.
Anyhow, here are my hilights:
10/20 8:30pm South Side Works---Shortbus!!!!
10/22 4:45pm Harris Theater---Meth/ Time for Compassionate Change
10/23 7pm Harris Theater---Life of Reilly
10/24 7pm Harris Theater---Cruel and Unusual
10/24 9:15pm Harris Theater---Avant Garde Introduction (curated by my pal Gordon!)
10/25 9pm Harris Theater---Whole New Thing
10/26 7pm Harris Theater---Pick Up the Mic
10/26 9:15pm Harris Theater---El Calentito
10?29 4:45pm South SIde Works---20 Centimeters

Chances are I will not get to half of them, but I am going to make every effort.
Shortbus, of course, is the highly anticipated film by John Cameron Mitchell with REAL SEX in it. Meth/Time for Compassionate Change are two films about drug use and AIDS....I am curious to see how many people show up for them. Life of Reilly is about Charles Nelson Reilly. Cruel and Unusual is about MTF transexuals in men's prisons. The Avant Garde Introduction includes Kenneth Anger!, Barbara Hammer!, Sadie Benning!, and some other folks with whom I am less familiar. No Derek...but I'm thinking if this program is successful maybe I can lobby for Derek next year. It's never too early.
Whole New Thing looks really fun, and I think my sissy may have recommended it. Pick Up The Mic is about Queer Hip Hop!, and I know my sissy recommended that. El Calentito is about an underground club in Spain in the 80s. 20 Centimeters my sissy said is better than Hedwig, so it must be good.
I didn't look too hard at what is going on the 27th and 28th (I know the Buffy singalong is in there somewhere) because I have a show and a wedding those days.
The website to do further research for yourself is www.plgfs.org. I encourage you to check it out, even if you are straight! My hugest complaint with the PLGFF is their lack of cross marketing to straight people. Hopefully some straight people will come out for Shortbus, at least!

So yeah, played a show last night. It was okay...I got a little "vibed out", I think, because no one had shown up half an hour after the show was supposed to start and Manny was getting nervous, which made me get nervous. It ended up being a good crowd, and we played alright. Mike Tamburo and his hammered dulcimer was incredible. I feel bad that I never got to see any other shows he did since he's been back in town, and now he's moving again. Hopefully he'll come back now and again.
Julie Sokolow was very popular with the crowd...she is really good at what she does, but what she does is a Cat Power-ish sort of thing that is not really my cup of tea. I think a lot of my friends would like her a lot though. She's got several more shows lined up soon around town. I didn't stay for the headliner---I was tired and had a big day ahead of me today. So I abandoned my drums to the trunk of Alan's car and walked myself home in my pirate tights and big floppy hat. I was relatively certain that no one would fuck with me because I looked outlandish, and also I was carrying drumsticks. And I was right.
This morning I got to work and made myself a giant list of everything I have to accomplish in the next two days. It really was giant, and I scratched off about half of it. I scratched off all the things I had to accomplish before 8am tomorrow morning, when I will have 23 business people in the back of the restaurant to whom I have to feed coffee and bagels and muffins. When I agreed to handle this little get together the number was 10, but people just kept adding on. It's okay...there's still enough muffins for everyone to get one. After I got the muffins done I started on a variety of cheeselogs for the dance party on Thursday night...the traditional almond cheddar blue cheese, a horseradish cheddar dill, and a swiss caraway with pecans. I am going to slice them and serve them on little crackers. There's going to be a whole lot of other fun little finger foods, as well as awesome beer from East End Brewing and a dance party, and it's ALL FREE! Hopefully everyone I know will at least stop by...it's from 7pm-10pm. Come say happy birthday to the quiet storm and dive head first into the vegan spinach dip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home