Sunday, October 01, 2006

Oh what a lovely weekend! I hope you all can say the same.
Friday was a mostly do nothing day, and then my evening work shift was sort of busy but fun. I had a groovy time and didn't lose my cool during the rushes. That's always nice.
It was kind of a bummer that NO ONE came out to see Tait and the OPD though. I certainly had a great time dancing around the kitchen and singing along as I made dips, did dishes and swept the floor, but it would have been nice if there had been an audience. Well, tommy amoeba was there, so that counts for something.
Anyway, Saturday there were shows (yeah!) and coffee, and I made cookies for breakfast. Then we got ourselves together and went to pick up Jilly for the Rib Cookoff at the Union Project. Of course, we drove there in her pimpy new Subaru Forester, so we weren't really "picking up" Jilly so much as meeting her. We headed over there in the drizzle only to find that four of the ten contestants had not shown up, and that a couple of the remaining contestants were out of ribs. Boohoo! We managed to sample all but one of the offerings and get some mac and cheese and cole slaw, but it was not totally satisfying. I felt a little bad that the weather had not cooperated with what would have definitely been a great event had everything gone smoothly. Hopefully they'll try again next year, and hopefully rebby will have enough notice to compete by then. Seriously, her ribs would have blown any of them away. I have been fantasizing lately about running away to become a gypsy of some sort anyway, and the ribfest circuit would be perfect. I could be the sides girl for rebby's rib stand, and then I could read tarot on the side. What a great life! Just think of all the washed up rock stars I would get to see!
Since we weren't happy with our rib meal, we decided to go to Buffalo Blues. Where we weren't totally happy with our meal either, but at least there was beer and the food was pretty good. The service was sucky, and just when we were getting ready to leave (thank god!) they cranked the speaker over our table so loud we actually bolted from our seats. It was the stupidest thing I had ever seen, and obviously not a mistake as it stayed that way until we were out of the door. I understand that you are a sports bar and that some of the people there were interested in whatever game you were blasting, but clearly there were other people there to eat. Idiots.
After the disappointing meal I came back home and flounced around a little, then got dressed up all gothy to go to Cirque Gothique. I waited for my date to arrive on the bench in front of the library by the Pan fountain and listened to the drummers in the pavilion across the street. It was a very nice atmosphere to get me into the mood for what was to come.
And, wow. Overall, a really really great show, although there were a few acts that didn't really do it for me, and the setting/lighting were not at all suited to what was going on. But the chance to see Tempest dance her ode to Theda Bara was amazing. The guy who did the Asian sword dancing was also kind of mindblowing, and I always love to see (and hear!) Khafif. It was a really lovely evening that I almost missed because I am so out of the loop! Thanks to Jennie to cluing me into it. I ended up buying the Gothic Bellydance DVD which I have been coveting for a long time from the guy who was dressed up like a carny. (as opposed to the guy who was actually PLAYING a carny in the show...his costume wasn't so great and neither were his parts....unfortunately.) This DVD is about equal parts stunning and cheesy beyond belief. Luckily it is easy to navigate between scenes so I never have to watch the cheesy parts again, and can instead concentrate on the ones I love. I am going to have to take notes next time so I can give hilights.
This morning rebby and I decided to drive around since it was so lovely. We went to Kazanskys for breakfast, and then headed out to find this mythic thrift store in McKeesport. On the way we drove through a lot of little towns I had never heard of. We found McKeesport but didn't find any thrift store. We did find the Original John McGinnis market on Library road....that was amazing. It's this tiny little very cramped specialty food store out in an area where....really...one would not expect a lot of interest in specialty foods. But the place was bumpin! Their Boar's Head deli counter was so gorgeous...lots of sausages I would probably never eat in a million years, but they were so nice to look at. It has a very old world feel to it, that place. I got some authentic German egg noodles and kona coffee(my new love!) and cider, and rebby got a bottle of Stonewall Kitchen Tamarind Sauce which we had on some chicken when we got home. Lordy, was that stuff good. I'll bet I could find it at the market district if I really looked. But going out to the Original McGinnis Market might be a nice thing to do on weekends.
Anyway, we kept driving, trying to figure out the way to get to the part of West Mifflin where the American Thrift is. We never did figure it out before driving in a huge circle and ending up where we started..it would have been easier if we had the atlas in the truck. But rebby lent it to Mike to plan his birthday getaway. Sigh.
The American Thrift was having a 50% off everything sale, which was nice because rebby found an amazing tux for $29.95 that the ladies ended up ringing at $21.95. So she got it for $11 and it fits to a t, except for being a little too long. It's gorgeous! Now we need a fancy dress event to go to! I got a nice red parka with flannel lining for $3.50, and a cool tuxedo jacket for $2.00. Also a pair of giant tortoise shell yellow tinted sunglasses because I couldn't find my regular ones. They are so unusual in their giantness and yellowness that they took some getting used to, but by the time we got home I was loving them. It's nice to break out of the sunglasses comfort zone once in a while.
While we ate our tamarind chicken with rice and peas, we watched Oedipus Rex by Pasolini. It's very cool. I highly recommend it. I still have to finish watching Derek's Edward the II and then I'll get Pasolini's Gospel According to St Matthew and Pink Narcissus. That ought to be a fun double bill!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home