Sunday, September 24, 2006

Fall is here!
I am so thrilled. Yesterday I wanted it to be more fall like than it was...but I made the most of it. We got out of the house at about 11am, and headed for Einsteins for bagel breakfast sandwiches and large coffees. Einsteins has taken to using inferior bacon on their sandwiches, I have to warn you. It might have been a fluke, but I was NOT happy. It used to be nice thick peppery bacon and now it's the same quick cooking stuff that everyone seems to be using. I am not at all in favor of this trend. The coffee is still excellent, though, and we filled up and then headed out for the flea market. We took the good directions from Mapquest that took us through Carnegie and got there quickly without having to panic that we were hopelessly lost. However, there was almost nothing going on at the flea market! I don't know if it was the fear of rain, or if the season has really passed, or what, but there were only about three booths outside and the booths inside didn't do much for me at all. I got a beautiful magic foil alien and dolphin picture (I'll take a cellphone pic of it so you can see how beautiful it is!) and two cans of Italian tuna packed in olive oil. That was a good score. The produce vendors were all pretty lame, so we decided to go to the farm stand we had found by accident the last time
we went to the flea market(the time with the terrible directions) It was definitely fall at the farm stand! They had corn stalks, and giant piles of pumpkins, and huge bushel baskets of apples, and CIDER. Yum. I got some cider for myself and some for my buddy, I got two dark honeybears for myself and for rebby, gorgeous plum tomatoes, a few pie pumpkins, and a basket of cubanelles. I held myself back from buying a pie. It was hard.
From there we headed back to 51 to hit the thrift stores. We went to Red White and Blue for the first time in a long time (we usually make the trek on Sunday when it's closed) and it was sort of hideous. So many people in there going absolutely nuts. I got a cart and made a beeline for the linens section, where I found THE PERFECT couch cover! It's a light sage green cotton bedspread with a really nice pattern woven into it. It's the perfect size, and it was on the 50% sale, so I got it for $2.50! Take that, overpriced hippies! I even got a seafoam green cotton blanket to go with it for another $2.50. AND, a new comforter cover! I was really rockin the sale linens. I also got a couple cute table lamps for the restaurant super cheap. I couldn't face the crowd in the clothing section, so I didn't even look. Just did a quick trip around housewares where there wasn't anything I REALLY wanted. So we beat it out of there.
Next stop was Goodwill, which was comparatively chill. They were having their 50% off green tags, so I took a twirl through the dresses, only looking at things with green tags. I ended up with three dresses, a cute orange paisley skirt, and a black half slip for $7.00. Woohoo! While in line, I saw the most amazing thing in the window...it was a toddler sized baby blue Elvis jumpsuit, complete with huge white lapels and a silver sequined belt. It was gorgeous. I should have grabbed it for my nephew, but by the time I saw it the line was huge. Still, it would have been only $2.00. I feel foolish that I didn't get it. Hopefully someone will put it to good use. They also had Knight Rider costumes, complete with David Hasselhoff wig. And talking communicator. If they had not been $14.99, we definitely would have gotten that too. You really never know when you are going to need a David Hasselhoff wig. I highly recommend a trip to the Rt 51 Goodwill if you are looking for Halloween costumes for yourselves or the toddlers in your life.
From there we headed to the Salvation Army Superstore. There was an awesome pair of paratrooper boots there which just happened to be a size in between Rebby and me. It was like Cinderella up in there...I tried in vain to shove my foot in, and she tried to make like there wasn't two inches of toeroom. Alas. I was hoping to get lucky in the housewares but it was not to be. I did find a set of shower curtain rings with REAL DIAMONDS (hee) though. They were only $1.99. Seriously, REAL DIAMONDS.
That was going to be all I got but then on a lark I tried on a beautiful wool mens suitjacket. It's been several years since I rocked a suitjacket, and I think it's time. It fits nicely and it seems warm. And it was $2.
That was the end of our thrifting odyssey. From there we stopped to get gas for $2.39 a gallon (seriously, I cannot believe that gas is ten cents cheaper on the other side of the mountain!) and then to McGinnis Sisters for the rest of the groceries for supper. I decided to make stuffed peppers with the cubanelles, so I got some ground beef and tomatoes and onions and garlic. And strawberry ice cream. Hee.
Headed home, stopping to drop off the cider for my buddy (you're welcome!) then brought up everything we could carry to the house. I got set to make supper, and rebby started to watch pee wee's big adventure which she had gotten for $1 at one of the stores. It was funny, maybe not as funny as I remember it. But basically I just couldn't get past the fact that it must have been one of the most expensive movies ever. SO many sets! So much crap on the sets! Of course, I'm sure it made back triple what it cost, but I was feeling very Marxist while watching it. How many people could have been fed with the cost of this film, etc. I tried not to be too much of a downer.
The peppers turned out fantastic! I am proud to be able to whip up a perfect stuffed pepper tomato sauce despite not having a drop of Italian or Hungarian blood in my body. We ate them over rice, and watched an adorable Jimmy Durante movie called The Great Rupert. It was a heartwarming tale in which the generous circus people win out over the stingy landlord. And also, there is a squirrel who dances in a kilt. Rebby got that for $1 too. She also got the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, but there was no way I was going to sit through that. For some reason my tolerance for kitsch is stretched to the breaking point by the teenage mutant ninja turtles. I did some computering while she watched it and then headed off to dreamland.
Luckily, no scary dreams! Woohoo! I got up and headed to the quiz where I made SLEEK. Food of the gods, for certain. I pitied everyone who did not order the sleek, which was most people. The apple raisin spice pancakes and soysage and peppers frittata were good too, though. It was a slowish brunch on account of the football, I think. That's the other thing that happens in the fall....people stop coming to brunch so they can watch football. It's all good.
After work I headed to the grocery store where I got the first pomegranate of the season. Now it is OFFICIALLY fall. I also bought myself a honeybun from the bakery, which is NOT an apple fritter no matter what kind of spin I put on it, but as close as I could get. Why can I not get an apple fritter, people? Is it really too much to ask? I guess I'll have to make them my damn self.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home