Monday, October 09, 2006

Oh boy, I sure do wish that blogger was equipped with smellovision right now! My apartment is fragrant with the deliciousness of green chile stew. It makes me incredibly happy, and I'm sure it would make you happy too. If I know you, maybe I'll be able to give you some. Just ask! :)
Today has been a delicious day all around. I slept in longer than I intended (by way of either forgetting to set my alarm, or turning it off and going back to sleep and completely forgetting it...I'm not sure which) Eventually I did get out of bed, throw on some clothes, and head to the market district for fresh fruit. It was already bumpin at 8:30am! Thankfully it only took me about two minutes to get my coffee. I toured the produce gauntlet, and ended up getting fruits mostly on the red end of the spectrum. I wish that the grapes had not been at the beginning of the gauntlet---if I had gotten grapes at the end, I would have probably gotten green instead of red. But the red globes are pretty, and seedless! I almost got some weird tiny little yellow fruit that was called something melon (I don't remember, it started with a P and sounded vaguely Italian) but I passed because the kiwis were looking good and pretty cheap. I should try to figure out what that little melon's story is though....it definitely didn't look or feel like any melon I've ever seen!
After the fruit purchase I headed to the storm to deliver the fruit and make some granola. Cranberry Orange Almond for the season. It smelled so yummy baking...which was really nice, because we were dealing with an indelicate plumbing issue. The plumbing issue was solved relatively early and relatively painlessly, and breakfast was super busy! Again! Rebecca came in to bake so the place was full of some more delicious aromas. I stuck around long enough to witness the triumphant installation of the NEW CASH REGISTER RIBBON. There was much rejoicing.
When I got home I threw open all the windows(and they are still open, which is sort of disturbing....I think it ought to be chilling down by 9pm!) and got on the computer to start the daunting task of cleaning out my inbox. Sheesh. I've got a message in there from AUGUST 12th that I really want to answer, except that now everything in the message is totally invalid. I hate when I do that. I did make a dent, and then I worked on updating the slip tally sheet. While I did all this assiduous computering, I listened to my random shuffle and it did not disappoint. Lonely Planet Boy, Chris Isaak, 1985, Suede....the hits kept coming! It's nice to be reminded of stuff I never think to listen to, but love when I hear it. I also ate a fantastic egg/bacon/toast/coffee breakfast. I got a loaf of some kind of super grainy bread from the market district and it was PERFECT for the dippy eggs. Sweet.
Then, I got myself together and actually took my comforter and cover and enormous blue blanket to the laundrymat! I was able to fit all three of them into one enormous $5.00 washer, which proceeded to make all sorts of HORRIBLE sounds. No one who worked there looked twice though, so I guess that behemoth always makes those sounds. I really worried that I had busted the thing with my heavy duty linens, though! While they cooked I worked on slip tallies from the weekend....the new menu stuff is doing really well. Old favorites pierogidilla and graham street tofu and rueben are holding their own. And, the best news for me, soups and specials continue to lead the pack. The regular menu stuff is all awesome, but it's so gratifying when people enjoy the special creative stuff we do!
I got my enormous bed linens dry after half an hour, and then I folded them into their bag and carried them home on my head. It was fun. When I got home I got sucked into what is sure to be my new downfall: tribe.net I signed up back in 2003(!) courtesy of madorange, who is still my only friend. But today I went crazy and joined a ton of tribes. Hopefully after a little while I will weed through them and find the good ones, because I certainly don't have the time to hold all these online conversations! It's definitely the best way to follow what's going on in the bellydance world, and there are pretty active groups for pittsburgh restaurants and recipes and a really entertaining group called "eldergoth". I like that one a lot.
OOOH! It's "Saturday" by Ludacris. I have to admit that I often skip through the rap stuff when it comes on the random play these days, but this song is so FUN! Stickyickyicky......
Well, Sunday.....I'll do a quick recap. Brunch was off tha chain...130 people! One group of 16 followed by a group of 12! We sold out of so much stuff. It was fun though...we were stressed, sure, but Leslie and I made a good and quick team. We got a lot of prep finished before Tait came in too....but he got stuck with most of it. I went back later to see the show and ended up doing a load of dishes for him because I felt bad. I plunged the toilets a couple times, and then settled in to watch the show. The out of towners were fun...the first guy (going by the name of Bicycats) I wasn't that into...he had some sort of offensive lyrics. They were "ironic", but that doesn't always excuse it for me. The second guy, Adam Scandal, I loved. He alternated between lovely songs a la Jeff Buckley and white boy rap with a yellow sony beatbox. Named tony the sony. He was really drunk on shitty beer and just very entertaining. I bought his Cd but haven't listened to it yet.
Then came Julz A who was a white boy rapper on accordion, who played with his brother on violin. They were okay...I wasn't too sure, but then they won me over by playing "Moving Right Along" from the Muppet Movie. I danced and sang along.
Shelby Star, my old morning barista turned elementary school teacher, was amazing. I had never heard her sing before and she was just gorgeous. Then came Colin Fisher, my new morning barista. It's impossible to describe what he does...sort of primitive folk, with contemporary lyrics. Mostly manual percussion (like beating on his chest, or tapping his heels) but sometimes he plays a little guitar and sometimes he plays a little harmonium. I get to play a show with him on the 27th at Belvederes, and I am so excited! Last but not least was Leslie, who never fails to knock me out with her powerful voice and great guitar work. She did "Cripple Creek" and Colin and I sang along.
Unfortunately, no one came out for the show. I blame the football. Hopefully tonight's show gets a better attendance...I meant to go, but I didn't want to leave my chile. And plus, I'm kinda tired. I don't think I would be a very attentive audience member tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home